BackupDiskFile::RequestDurableMedia:failure on backup device

• This is the error message we are getting when trying to create the backup file on another server share.

It occurs at the end of the backup job - inet searches indicate the file is good to restore but I'm not staking my job on it.

IF we recreate the share on another disk (same server) it works OK.

the full error text is

BackupDiskFile::RequestDurableMedia:  failure on backup device '\\admin\ccsql1Backup\BACKUP\Live_Data_Full.BAK'. Operating system error 64(The specified network name is no longer available.).

The hardware guy here wants to rebuild the filesystem on the server, which could be an extreme job....

If anyone has experienced this and had a postive result could they please tell me.

Cheers,

DB

The systems fine with no users loggged in. Can we keep it that way ?br>

• SQL is notoriusly fickle when utilising network shares. It only takes the slightest of network hiccups to kill a backup job.

Better long-term solution is to create the backup on the local hard disks then move it to the network drive using something like Robocopy.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Used to do that - ran out of room. And occasionally the jobs were not automatically deleted.

Thanks,

DB

• Have you looked into using products like LiteSpeed?

--------------------

• How big is your database backup file size ? I have a 600 MB backup size running twice a day on a network share from last 3 years with no problems.

I would like you to check your network connectivity. Try pinging for sometime and see if you have any network bottle necks.

Hope this helps.

--Kishore

• DB Backup file comes in at around 2.5 gig. Network Connectivity appears fine.

I suspect something else other than connectivity issues as the job fails at the same point (as it completes) every time.

A copy job will work to the same destination.

One solution being proposed is to move the SQL server to a higher capacity Win 2003 server where we can do the local create/robocopy process.

Thanks,

DB

• We do the local create/robocopy process on all our servers couple of them have backups in excess of 10gb and they get shifted around without a problem.

--------------------

• There seems to be some problem with your network share. If you get a different network share for the backups, it should be working fine.

--Kishore

• What kind of operating system is running on the file server?

If Windows 2000 or 2003, are you using named pipes?

If yes, perhaps you need to see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 827452 :

FIX: General network error when you try to back up or restore a SQL Server database on a computer that is running Windows Server 2003

karl

Best regards
    karl

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply