Backups

• Hi all,

My Backup process for production database server is as follows

Database size 2GB

Full backup twice a day.

Differential backup every hour with append mode.

Transaction Log Backup every 20mins.

I created this strategy for not to rely on Transaction Log backup, so i created differential backup every hour.

My question is "IS it sounds good with above backup process" &

Differential Backup with append mode is good option.

Please suggest me in this issue

Thanks in advance

Karna

During backup process in SQL Server 2000 using EM Differential backup process, append & Overwrite is out there.

• That's a lot of backups for a 2 GB database

If you have the CPU, time and space to spare, why not?

As for backing up the differentials to a single file, it depends on the reliability of your disks.  With a single file, you risk losing all your differential backups should that single file get corrupted.

SQL BAK Explorer - read SQL Server backup file details without SQL Server.
    Supports backup files created with SQL Server 2005 up to SQL Server 2017.

• I would definitelt NOT use append mode for backup files. The potential for data loss exists. Granted it is rare that an appended backup file goes bad. But, it will go bad when you leaset expect it - like when you need to perform a restore ! Now some other thoughts ... The plan sounds like a bit much when mixing the tlogs and diffs. Maybe diffs every 4 hours with the tlogs is another option. For a database as small as 2 Gb I would do a full backup daily and tlogs every 15 minutes.

However the real question is "Have you ever tried to recover the database".

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply