backups fail on the secondary log shipping server

• if i set up a log shipping server with enterprise manager, the seconday server sets up back up schedules..

that is all great, but the backup always fails.

it seems like the backup fails because of the secondary server is in READ only mode.

am i missing something here? how can i set up log shipping and still maintain a current backup?

• The databases on your secondary server *are* a backup of your primary databases. There's no need to back up your backup. FWIW, the databases on the secondary server are not able to be backed up because, technically, they're constantly in a state of being restored - i.e. having log files applied.

Yes, backup your databases, but don't worry about the identical copies on the secondary server.

Steve G.

• but won't backing up the primary cause issues with the shipping?

• After I do a database back up one of the primaries, the next log file backup is large - so I do full DB backups 'round midnight when nobody cares if the server is tied up for a few minutes.

I currently have a log shipping set up (though not MS's log shipping), back up to local disk and backup to big-time tape storage and they all co-exist without a problem.

Steve G.

• cool. thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply