Backups fail regularly

• Has anyone encountered this?  I have backups scheduled for my databases and have recently been getting this message in the History:

Executed as user: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM. 10 percent backed up. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 3211)  20 percent backed up. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 3211)  30 percent backed up. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 3211)  Write on '\\PO0063\E_Temp\SqlBackup\MSDB.Bak' failed, status = 112. See the SQL Server error log for more details. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3202)  BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3013).  The step failed.

The relevent messages in the SQL Server Log are:

BackupMedium::ReportIoError: write failure on backup device '\\PO0063\E_Temp\SqlBackup\MSDB.Bak'. Operating system error 112(There is not enough space on the disk.).

Internal I/O request 0x015869B8: Op: Write, pBuffer: 0x04DA0000, Size: 983040, Position: 4294599168, UMS: Internal: 0x0, InternalHigh: 0xF0000, Offset: 0xFFFA6200, OffsetHigh: 0x0, m_buf: 0x04DA0000, m_len: 983040, m_actualBytes: 0, m_errcode: 112, BackupFile: \\PO0063\E_Temp\SqlBackup\MSDB.Bak

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE [MSDB] TO  DISK = N'\\PO0063\E_Temp\SqlBackup\MSDB.Bak' WITH NOINIT ,  NOUNLOAD ,  NAME = 'MSDB backup',  SKIP ,  STATS = 10,  NOFORMAT ,  MEDIANAME = 'PO0063',  MEDIADESCRIPTION = 'Daily database backup: MSDB'

The msdb file is 518Mb and the log 1Mb.  The target disk for the backup has 85Gb of space.  I am at a loss as to why this is happening and how to fix it.  Any ideas?

Gary

• Does something have the space 'locked' when the backup tries to happen?

-SQLBill

• SQLBill,

No, the space is not 'locked' because the computer is sitting idle at the time.  I am suspicious of a bad disk controller on the server, but I have no other errors.

Gary

• Check if you have quotas enabled in the server and if that limits the space that you can use.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• You misunderstood me....are other jobs/scripts running that have created locks. For example: running DBREINDEX will lock the table.

-SQLBill

• Thanks for the suggestions, but that does not seem to be it:

Sugesh - no quotas are enabled on any of the disks.

SQLBill - no other specific tasks are running to lock it.  I am the only developer on the system, so no one else is modifying tables, etc...

I really appreciate the quick feedback.  Any other ideas?  A little more information: I can right-click on a database and select the task to back up the database and that works; it is the scheduled task that seems to fail most of the time (but not always).

Gary

• You have scheduled the backup to happen in a shared folder \\PO0063\E_Temp\, check whether you have sufficient freespace or quotas on the shared folder.

Refer the below link reg file movement to network folder

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/252332

If everything is ok, its better to drop the existing backup Maintenance plan and create a new one and schedule it. It vil be better.

• Hey buddy your job is running under localsyste, account which has access to local resources only and not network resources. NT AUTHOURITY\SYSTEM corresponds to LOCALSYSTEM account use a domain account to run sql agent service so that it gets access to network resources also.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP

• You have been backing up this database with noinit:

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE [MSDB] TO  DISK = N'\\PO0063\E_Temp\SqlBackup\MSDB.Bak' WITH NOINIT ,  NOUNLOAD ,  NAME = 'MSDB backup',  SKIP ,  STATS = 10,  NOFORMAT ,  MEDIANAME = 'PO0063',  MEDIADESCRIPTION = 'Daily database backup: MSDB'

Try change to WITH INIT. It is possible that the backup file has grown to the point that it reached the maximum disk space.

• Vidhya, Sugesh, Martha,

Those were very good suggestions and I appreciate all your thoughts going into them.  However, I checked them out but they were not the problem, either.  I have authority to the shared area, it has 80+Gb of space and the file has not grown so large as to take up that space.

This is not the only DB being backed up.  I have five other DBs scheduled, and sometimes they succeed and sometimes they don't.  That is part of my frustration: they work sometimes.

Maybe it is hardware...

Gary

• Did you try executing the job manually to see if it completes?  

• Change the service account to doamin account for sure this wil get solved out.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply