BackupVirtualDeviceFile::SendFileInfoBegin suddenly started to appear

• Over the past 2 days, at the same time at night, the following error messages have started appearing in the logs for all databases.

I/O is frozen on database xxxxx. No user action is required. however, if I/O is not resumed promptly, you could cancel the backup.

I/O was resumed on database xxxxx. No user action is required.

BackupvirtualDevice::SendFileInfoBegin: failure on backup device '{xxxx-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxx}1'. Operating system error 995 (failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 1815)

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUPDATABASE xxxxx. Check the backup application log for detailed messages.

I've checked out the backup schedules and it isn't one of mine. We are running on a virtual server connected to a SAN, and although I've contacted our network team, they assure me that they are doing nothing. They do backup drives on the SAN, and their provider has told me that if I don't want the databases backing up then to deny backup privileges to a specified login.

That login wasn't known to SQL Server, and I've even added it, denied it backup privileges, denied access to the login and disabled the login, but the errors still occur.

I am concerned on a number of accounts. One is that should the backup ever be successful it could destroy the transaction log chain making a full recovery impossible if we ever need it as i have no way of knowing whether the backup is a COPY ONLY job. also the I/O suspended and resumed messages give me cause for concern. At present they are occurring within 2 seconds of each other (in my book, still too long), and that all databases are suspended before any resumes occur (that is 30 databases).

Is there any way I can discover who is making the backup attempt, what type of backup is being issued? I'm going to configure a profile to run tonight to catch what I can. but any pointers would be very useful.

---------------------------------------
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the Beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
    the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.

• You wont have any problem if it succeeds with you re chain. A "extra" full backup wont break the chain. you still can restore from youre own full backup and logs backups.

about the backup looks like you got some kind of agent/plugin running (commvault/legato ect) guess the trace will tell you more.

• Did you find out any more info on this? The EXACT thing just showed up on our production SQL system. That is:

- we got a number of "BackupVirtualDeviceFile::SendFileInfoBegin: failure on backup device..." errors

- there were no SQL backups schedule (no SQL Agent jobs whatsoever, no other external apps, etc)

It is indeed disconcerting...

• We finally tracked it down to the SAN. Our parent company has installed a network backup solution which scanned across the LAN and WAN for SQL Server databases and executed (or at least attempted to) a copy only backup which was to be stored off site. The idea, I discovered, was to ensure that all SQL Servers were backed up across different sites in case we lost one so completely as not to be able to recover. However this was only being done across the SAN drives, and one SQL Server I maintain that has it's own dedicated server was unaffected.

However it was misconfigured so that whilst it could issue the requests, it didn't have the specific privileges required by my SQL servers to perform the backup, and as such, it was failing.

I only discovered this when talking to a network team at another office who were aware of it, as our network team didn't seem to know what was going on either.

We still get hit with the error message once in a while, probably whilst they try to reconfigure the system to work properly. :w00t::hehe:

---------------------------------------
    It is by the Beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
    the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply