Bad practices

• Hi,

I was thinking (and yes it hurt) that as this is a fairly big forum which has a lot of consolidated experience working with sql that there must be some weird things that people have seen over the years. I was wondering what are the worst/bizarre database design/practices that you have ever seen.

(also it's a subtle way of me learning not to do them )

Laters

*I didn't do anything it just got complicated*

"I didn't do anything it just got complicated" - M Edwards

• Hi Ritch,

quote:

I was thinking (and yes it hurt) that as this is a fairly big forum which has a lot of consolidated experience working with sql that there must be some weird things that people have seen over the years. I was wondering what are the worst/bizarre database design/practices that you have ever seen.

delete BUILTIN\Administrators without knowing the sa password

Should become a huge thread

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

• Abend Frank,

quote:

delete BUILTIN\Administrators without knowing the sa password

Thats a classic!!

Später

• Hi Ritch,

quote:

Thats a classic!!

yes, now I can laugh over this!

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• I'm assuming blind panic took over for awhile

How did you correct it?

• quote:

I'm assuming blind panic took over for awhile

Don't ask!

quote:

How did you correct it?

Newinstallation, restore.

quote:

Is this your own, or is it taken from somewhere else?

Here's another one fot the NOT to do list.

- first thing after installation on target machine, keep a close look at who is allowed on this box. Took me also a while to figure out why a developer had access to SQL Server without having individual permission. Some two weeks later, and with help from Brian Kelley (Thanks, again!) I figured out, this guy was left for convenience in some domain account which also had a login on my box.

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• quote:

Newinstallation, restore.

Ouch!

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this your own, or is it taken from somewhere else?

Unfortunately not, a friend who is the senior developer at somewhere I used to work used it, but it suits me more . I shall relinquish it if he ever turns up here tho!!

Cheers Frank!

Ritch

• Just a few that come to mind:

* leaving the sa password null or some ridiculously guessable value

* not having primary keys, or at least unique keys

* not having clustered indexes on volatile tables

* wrong selection of clustered index columns - eg. frequently updated columns or overly large (sets of) columns

* use of unicode when there's no need for it

* use of text columns when varchar will suffice

* use of simple recovery mode on critical databases

* setting db to full recovery and not configuring any tlog backups (I once came across a db of 25.1GB, where 25GB was the transaction log)

* useless or almost-identical indexes

* not testing database recovery in a "dead server" scenario

* not updating stats regularly

* not doing a checkdb regularly

* not having some sort of benchmarking capability (eg. even a simple capture of SQL's @@ stats regularly - even if it's not utilised initially)

* setting productions databases to unlimited growth (personal opinion only - so don't flame me!)

* audit level on production servers set to none

* leaving the error log unexamined

* developers testing their stuff as a db_datareader/writer, or even worse db_owner, or yes, yes... sa. AND then expecting to deploy to production under the same circumstances.

* developers who abuse their privileges on production databases that your management has allowed them (hmmm, I can use use EM to insert a column between these other two in this 3 million row table)

(again, don't flame me... I have nothing against developers - they provide me with a job. It's just that I've seen these things happen)

Cheers,
    - Mark

• Thanks Mark,

• Granting permissions on public.

• OK, how about running scripts that build new tables in your master database. I used the SQL Analyzer to import metadata for a project and forgot to change change to the desired database.

This brings up a question. Does anyone know how have a database, other than the master database, be the default as SQL Analyzer is loaded?

• hi ryno,

quote:

This brings up a question. Does anyone know how have a database, other than the master database, be the default as SQL Analyzer is loaded?

äh, do you mean how to change default one's default db when QA starts?

If so, sp_defaultdb [ @loginame = ] 'login' , [ @defdb = ] 'database' should help

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• Something I've learnt is when doing upgrades is never rush them!! This is a dark chapter in my life as a wannabe dba.

I had to upgrade a lot of servers in a short space of time. My procedure was to backup the db and restore as dbold, run the upgrade scripts against the original db, this was modifying table structures etc. I then had to run a script to copy the correct info back from dbold into the updated db.

Unfortunately I had run the backup on another instance by mistake as I was doing several at the same time (no excuse but it makes me feel better!). Resulting in a loss of all stock and orders for the store. And to top it off backups were the customers realm of responsibility (something I am so against!!).

Laters

Edited by - Ritch on 07/22/2003 06:19:48 AM

• quote:

Granting permissions on public.

I'd certainly dispute this one as a worst practice. Carefully done (as I have outlined in a previous thread) this is very useful. It prevents some very basic permissions from having to be stated on every group.

But how about these as true worst practices:

*Adding fields so you can create your own locking mechanism rather than let SQL Server's locking mechanism work for you.

*Not using relational joins, but instead using code to enforce all your relations.

*Not using stored procedures.

*Using views indiscriminantly rather than stored procedures.

• I'll follow mccork, our developer dbas always start with unicode, until I push back.

Of course they also love Varchar(1) !!!!

Worse they start at NVarChar(1).

KlK, MCSE

KlK

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply