.bak file does not show in Restore window

• I have a windows 8 pc that I just got and installed sqlexpress 2014. My buddy haw windows 7 and installed sqlexpress on his pc. We create a db on his pc, did a backup, copied the backup to my pc. In ssms I right click on "database" > restore database. click device and the button to find my file. I navigate to the folder where the file shows in file explorer but the .bak file does not show in ssms to restore from. This is probably a windows thing but I have don't know what to look at. Thanks for your help.

• I copied the backup file to the default path of the sqlexpress backups on my pc and it shows up in ssms restore window.. I will look at the permissions on that folder to see if I need to change the permission on the original folder i copied it to. Thanks.

• You may also see this if the extension is different. It's one of the many reasons I prefer using scripts for restore anyway. The GUI is limiting and difficult.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Gosh, I dunno, Grant. If the backups are taken correctly, I've found the GUI actually does a pretty good job about figuring out which DIF/TRNs go with the latest BAK especially when the backup takes several hours and the LDFs are created every 15 minutes. Of course, I also don't deviate from the .Bak, .Dif, .Trn naming convention.

I do agree that if you want to use something other than the latest BAK (other than the restore of a "copy only" for an update to another environment) that the GUI can be limiting there.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply