Bakup procedures

• I have a remote DB. I want to implement a backup procedure so there is an incremental backup daily and a full backup weekly. I don't have access to the server. But someone else does. I can instruct this person to change the tapes. Any suggestions/resources?

• Create full backup, incremental backup (differential backup) and tlog backup job on your machine and script them send the code to the person who has the access to creat the backup jobs on remote db.

It is not advisable to backp to tape directly... if you have space you can run the backup to disk disk then backup to tape..

The tape device must be connected physically to the computer that is running an instance of SQL Server. Backing up to remote tape devices is not supported.

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• I've created a full bkp that backs up to a file on the disk. The file then gets picked by the daily backup job. If I want to automate the backing up of DB to a file, how would I do it? Also, do I still need incremental backup and tlog backup?

What is the recommended frequency of changing tapes? If the job that runs daily, overwrites the tape, maybe a month?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply