Based on @error how to omit SQL err msg

• Hi,

Question on Error handling. How do you remove SQL error messages and only keep your own defined msg?

I have this statement:

INSERT INTO tmpCDR_Hold_Table EXECUTE sp_executesql @resQuery Set @errCode = @@Error 

IF @errCode = 208

BEGIN

Print 'Table ' + @strTableName + ' does not exist in the database. Make sure that table is within defined range. Aborted.'

Break

END

If error is raised, I get SQl error description and mine too, I want only to keep my message? Here is what I get:

Server: Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Invalid object name 'mdCallDetailApr2004'.

Table mdCallDetailApr2004 does not exist in the database. Make sure that table is within defined range. Aborted.

Thanks for any help.

• Jonas,

You are actually getting 2 messages there, one generated by Sequel Server and your own printed immediately afterwards.

Working in Query Analyser, I dont think there is any way of turning off the internal error message system. You can SET ANSI_WARNINGS { ON | OFF } but this only turns off divide by zero / count / mathematical error messages.

Best regards

Steve

We need men who can dream of things that never were.

• You can check for the existence of the table before the insert, raise your error if the table doesn't exist, and bypass the insert statement.

if exists (select * from sysobjects where id = object_id(N'[dbo].[tmpCDR_Hold_Table]') and OBJECTPROPERTY(id, N'IsTable') = 1)

INSERT INTO tmpCDR_Hold_Table EXECUTE sp_executesql @resQuery

else

BEGIN

Print 'Table ' + @strTableName + ' does not exist in the database. Make sure that table is within defined range. Aborted.'

Break

END

• Hoo,

tmpCDR_Hold_Table is a temporary storage for any data that EXECUTE sp_executesql @resQuery returns. @resQuery is the one that might retun invalid table name, so it has to be where it is right now.

Thanks for advise anyway.

• Yes, of course.  Sorry about that.  However, the general idea will still work.  Just plug in @strTableName where I have tmpCDR_Hold_Table in the IF EXISTS

Steve

• Yeap. You are right. There are two options

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply