Basic debugger question...

• Hi,

To use the debugger, do you need to be dbo on 'master'.

I've been told so, but don't believe it.

Thanks for your answer

Elno

• we use it all the time for our developers. Really cool. I think there's more local restriction than server restriction. Using Visual Studio.NET, it's all integrated. Once you set up your local environment, we don't have any trouble on the dev server.

I would disallow debugging on the production boxes for security reasons though.

• sorry-wrong button 🙁

Edited by - elno on 12/11/2002 10:45:35 AM

• Thanks a lot for the answer.

What would be the risks of debugging on production server?

Could profiler be of any help there (keep traces of changes, to follow errors 'in retrospect)? Not ideal, of course, but maybe better than nothing? Can profiler be used by developpers on production box?

Thanks in advance,

Elno

• Don't think you need to eb dbo. Have had issues iwth the server running under local system.

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

• Which debugger are you referring to. TSQL debugger or Script Debuger, or other?

• T-SQL (from QA object browser)

• Thanks.

Steve, details about the 'issues' would interest me. Sorry if you mentionned them elsewhere and I didn't see them.

Elno

• quote:

Thanks a lot for the answer.

What would be the risks of debugging on production server?

Could profiler be of any help there (keep traces of changes, to follow errors 'in retrospect)? Not ideal, of course, but maybe better than nothing? Can profiler be used by developpers on production box?

Thanks in advance,

Elno

The trouble with debugging a production server is the debugger can halt activity in a lot of situations.

As for monitoring with Profiler only do so if you have concerns a problem is occurring until you satisfy yourself it is not. If the server is dieing from the problem then look in SQL BOL about setting up a blackbox trace. It will record events up to the moment it fails and you can you profiler to review. There are some differences between SQL 7 and SQL 2000 with the way it works so do look in BOL for details.

• quote:

Thanks.

Steve, details about the 'issues' would interest me. Sorry if you mentionned them elsewhere and I didn't see them.

Elno

The biggest problem is that if you have the debugger working on a sp doing a transaction the debugger will lock the tables and not allow any access to them by another user... Big no no in my book! I use it all the time though on my dev boxes!

Gary Johnson

DBA

Sr DB Engineer

Gary Johnson
    Microsoft Natural Language Group
    DBA, Sr. DB Engineer

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. The opinions expressed in this post are my own and may not reflect that of my employer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply