BCP Error

• Hi All:

I'm trying to import data using bcp however, my I keep getting the below  message. I have checked the name of the file to see if I made a typo, but I don't find anything. I checked that I have full permissions on the file. Any ideas?

ERROR
    SQLState = S1000, NativeError = 0
    Error = [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server]Format file could not be opene
    d. Invalid name specified or access denied.

SCRIPT I'M RUNNING
    "bcp FormDotCom.dbo.Outpatient_Access IN C:\Outpatient_Access_DataLoad\Outpatient_Access.csv -f C:\Outpatient_Access_DataLoad\Outpatient_Access-c.fmt -S"myservername\instance" -T"

• you running that on your machine or on the server through cmdshell or sql server agent job? if on the server the files need to be on the server C: drive, not your own local one. And on that case it is the user running the SQL instance that needs access to the files, not you.

• I am running it running it from the server - the files are on the c:\ and I believe the service account running sql server has the permission to access the files. However, I am going to double check to ensure that the service account indeed has all of the permissions on the files.

• I was able to identify the why I was receiving the error message: "Format file could not be opened, Invalid name specified or denied."  My file extensions were hidden, as a result I could not see that the format file already had a ".fmt" extension and so I added a .fmt extension. Once I made my file extensions visible, I fixed the issue. 

Unfortunately, I am still unable to load my data has I now have different error. Now I have this "I/O error while reading BCP forma file."  I have edited my format file to ensure that the cursor is in the right place, it's not working. I've made sure that the files are accessible, still having the same issue. Any help will be appreciated.

• EMtwo - Saturday, August 4, 2018 8:01 PM

I was able to identify the why I was receiving the error message: "Format file could not be opened, Invalid name specified or denied."  My file extensions were hidden, as a result I could not see that the format file already had a ".fmt" extension and so I added a .fmt extension. Once I made my file extensions visible, I fixed the issue. 

Unfortunately, I am still unable to load my data has I now have different error. Now I have this "I/O error while reading BCP forma file."  I have edited my format file to ensure that the cursor is in the right place, it's not working. I've made sure that the files are accessible, still having the same issue. Any help will be appreciated.

Quick thought, open a CMD as Admin and use CACLS to list the ACLs in that folder, should tell you if the user has permissions on the files in question.
    😎

• So far it appears that the user has permissions on the files in the directory.

I am unfortunately still trying to load data in this table. This the current error I'm getting when try bcp ...ing into the table:

BCP Command Line error
    Starting copy...

0 rows copied.
    Network packet size (bytes): 4096
    Clock Time (ms.) Total  : 1

Bulk Insert Error

Msg 4832, Level 16, State 1, Line 13
    Bulk load: An unexpected end of file was encountered in the data file.
    Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 13
    The OLE DB provider "BULK" for linked server "(null)" reported an error. The provider did not give any information about the error.
    Msg 7330, Level 16, State 2, Line 13
    Cannot fetch a row from OLE DB provider "BULK" for linked server "(null)".

See below for bulk insert script and bcp script

Bulk Insert script
    BULK
    INSERT Outpatient_Access
       FROM 'C:\C\Outpatient_Access_DataLoad\Outpatient_Access.csv'
        WITH
      (
          FORMATFILE = 'C;\Outpatiient_Access_DataLoad\Outpatient_Access-c.fmt',
                    DATAFILETYPE = 'widechar'
                    FIELDTERMINATOR = ',',
          ROWTERMINATOR = '\0\r\0n'

)
    GO

BCP commandline  script
    bcp MyDatabase.dbo.Outpatient_Access IN C:\Outpatient_Access_DataLoad\Outpatient_Access.csv
    -f C:\Outpatient_Access_DataLoad\Outpatient_Access-c.fmt -eC:\Outpatient_Access
    _Dataload\Outpatient_error.log -SInstance\namedinstance -T

• EMtwo - Monday, August 6, 2018 5:03 PM

So far it appears that the user has permissions on the files in the directory.

I am unfortunately still trying to load data in this table. This the current error I'm getting when try bcp ...ing into the table:

BCP Command Line error
    Starting copy...

0 rows copied.
    Network packet size (bytes): 4096
    Clock Time (ms.) Total  : 1

Bulk Insert Error

Msg 4832, Level 16, State 1, Line 13
    Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 13
    The OLE DB provider "BULK" for linked server "(null)" reported an error. The provider did not give any information about the error.
    Msg 7330, Level 16, State 2, Line 13

See below for bulk insert script and bcp script

Bulk Insert script
    BULK
    INSERT Outpatient_Access
       FROM 'C:\C\Outpatient_Access_DataLoad\Outpatient_Access.csv'
        WITH
      (
          FORMATFILE = 'C;\Outpatiient_Access_DataLoad\Outpatient_Access-c.fmt',
                    DATAFILETYPE = 'widechar'
                    FIELDTERMINATOR = ',',
          ROWTERMINATOR = '\0\r\0n'

)
    GO

BCP commandline  script
    bcp MyDatabase.dbo.Outpatient_Access IN C:\Outpatient_Access_DataLoad\Outpatient_Access.csv
    -f C:\Outpatient_Access_DataLoad\Outpatient_Access-c.fmt -eC:\Outpatient_Access
    _Dataload\Outpatient_error.log -SInstance\namedinstance -T

If you're using a format file, then why are you specifying field and row terminators?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I shouldn't because the format file contains that information... Thanks.

What I have now done is to run the bulk insert script using a format file and with the field and row delimiter(without a format file) see result below:

Without a Fromat File
    BULK
    INSERT Outpatient_Access
       FROM 'C:\Outpatient_Access_DataLoad\Outpatient_Access.csv'
        WITH
      (
          FIELDTERMINATOR = '","',
          ROWTERMINATOR = '\n'

)
    GO

Result
    Bulk load: DataFileType was incorrectly specified as char. DataFileType will be assumed to be widechar because the data file has a Unicode signature.
    Bulk load: DataFileType was incorrectly specified as char. DataFileType will be assumed to be widechar because the data file has a Unicode signature.
    Msg 4832, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Msg 7330, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

With a Format file
    BULK
    INSERT Outpatient_Access
       FROM 'C:\Outpatient_Access_DataLoad\Outpatient_Access.csv'
        WITH
      (
          FORMATFILE = 'C:\Outpatient_Access_DataLoad\Outpatient_Access-c.fmt'

);
    GO

Result

Msg 4832, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Msg 7330, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

• So I tried using BCP again with an error log added this is what I get: 

#@ Row 1, Column 4: Invalid character value for cast specification @#
    ÿþS                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
    #@ Row 2, Column 2: Invalid character value for cast specification @#

#@ Row 3, Column 2: Invalid character value for cast specification @#

#@ Row 4, Column 2: Invalid character value for cast specification @#

#@ Row 5, Column 2: Invalid character value for cast specification @#

#@ Row 6, Column 2: Invalid character value for cast specification @#

#@ Row 7, Column 2: Invalid character value for cast specification @#

• There are a huge number of possibilities as to what is wrong.  At this point, I'm going to suggest that we might not be able to help at all without a copy of the file and the DDL for the target table.  Of course, if the file has any PII or other sensitive information in it, you shouldn't attach it.  Instead, make a copy of the file and manually change the sensitive items on, say, the first 5 or 10 rows, delete the rest of the rows, and attach that.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• I agree....
    Below are the following - create table script to show my table structure, script I used to create my format file, and my bcp script to input the data:
    Create table script
    CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Outpatient_Access](
        [ID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,
        [Submit_Date] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Email_Password] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Login_Unique_ID] [int] NOT NULL,
        [Parent_Name] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Provider_Name] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Provider_ID] [int] NULL,
        [Address_1] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Address_2] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [City] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [State] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Zip] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Preparer_FirstName] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Preparer_LastName] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Preparer_Title] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Preparer_PhoneNumber] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Preparer_Phone_Number_Extention] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Preparer_EmailAddress] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Coordinator_FirstName] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Coordinator_LastName] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Coordinator_Title] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Coordinator_PhoneNumber] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Coordinator_PhoneNumber_Extension] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Coordinator_EmailAddress] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Treatment_Ages_0_to_18] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Age_0_to_3] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Age_4_to_5] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Age_6_to_12] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Age_13_to_18] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Intake_Wait_Time] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Psychotherapy_Wait_Time] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Psychiatry_Wait_Time] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_hours] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Mon_From] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Mon_To] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Tues_From] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Tues_To] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Wed_From] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Wed_To] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Thurs_From] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Thurs_To] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Fri_From] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Fri_To] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Sat_From] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Sat_To] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Sun_From] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Sun_To] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Adults_Treatment_Ages_18_and_over] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Adult_Intake_Wait_time] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Adult_Intake_Psychotherapy_wait_time] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Adult_Psychiatry_wait_time] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Medicare_Contracted] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Medicare_Advantage_plan] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Adult_walk_In_psychiatry_hours] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Mon_From] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Mon_To] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Tues_From] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Tues_To] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Wed_From] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Wed_To] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Thurs_From] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Thurs_To] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Fri_From] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Fri_To] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Sat_From] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Sat_To] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Sun_From] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Sun_To] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
        [New_referral] [nvarchar](max) NULL
    ) ON [PRIMARY] TEXTIMAGE_ON [PRIMARY]

GO

Format file script
    bcp FormDotCom.dbo.Outpatient_Access format nul -T -c -f C:\Users\myuserprofiledirectory\Documents\Outpatient_Access-c.fmt -S myinstance\namedinstance

Bcp script for importing data
    bcp FormDotCom.dbo.Outpatient_Access IN C:\Outpatient_Access_DataLoad\Outpatient_Access.csv-f C:\Outpatient_Access_DataLoad\Outpatient_Access-c.fmt -eC:\Outpatient_Access_Dataload\Outpatient_error.log -Smyinstance\namedinstance -T

• wrong file content....

1   SQLCHAR     0   12  "\t"  1  ID                         ""
    2   SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  2  Submit_Date                      SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    3   SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  3  Email_Password                     SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    4   SQLCHAR     0   12  "\t"  4  Login_Unique_ID                     ""
    5   SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  5  Parent_Name                      SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    6   SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  6  Provider_Name                      SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    7   SQLCHAR     0   12  "\t"  7  Provider_ID                      ""
    8   SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  8  Address_1                       SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    9   SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  9  Address_2                       SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    10  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  10  City                         SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    11  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  11  State                        SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    12  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  12  Zip                         SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    13  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  13  Preparer_FirstName                    SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    14  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  14  Preparer_LastName                    SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    15  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  15  Preparer_Title                     SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    16  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  16  Preparer_PhoneNumber                   SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    17  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  17  Preparer_Phone_Number_Extention                SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    18  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  18  Preparer_EmailAddress                   SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    19  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  19  Coordinator_FirstName                   SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    20  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  20  Coordinator_LastName                   SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    21  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  21  Coordinator_Title                    SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    22  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  22  Coordinator_PhoneNumber                  SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    23  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  23  Coordinator_PhoneNumber_Extension               SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    24  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  24  Coordinator_EmailAddress                  SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    25  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  25  Child_Treatment_Ages_0_to_18                 SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    26  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  26  Child_Age_0_to_3                     SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    27  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  27  Child_Age_4_to_5                     SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    28  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  28  Child_Age_6_to_12                    SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    29  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  29  Child_Age_13_to_18                    SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_ASA
    30  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  30  Child_Intake_Wait_Time                   SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    31  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  31  Child_Psychotherapy_Wait_Time                SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    32  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  32  Child_Psychiatry_Wait_Time                 SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    33  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  33  Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_hours                SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    34  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  34  Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Mon_From               SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    35  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  35  Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Mon_To                SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    36  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  36  Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Tues_From               SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    37  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  37  Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Tues_To               SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    38  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  38  Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Wed_From               SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    39  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  39  Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Wed_To                SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    40  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  40  Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Thurs_From              SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    41  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  41  Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Thurs_To               SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    42  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  42  Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Fri_From               SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    43  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  43  Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Fri_To                SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    44  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  44  Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Sat_From               SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    45  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  45  Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Sat_To                SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    46  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  46  Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Sun_From               SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    47  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  47  Child_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Sun_To                SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    48  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  48  Adults_Treatment_Ages_18_and_over               SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    49  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  49  Adult_Intake_Wait_time                   SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    50  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  50  Adult_Intake_Psychotherapy_wait_time              SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    51  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  51  Adult_Psychiatry_wait_time                 SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    52  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  52  Medicare_Contracted                    SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    53  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  53  Medicare_Advantage_plan                  SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    54  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  54  Adult_walk_In_psychiatry_hours                SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    55  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  55  Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Mon_From               SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    56  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  56  Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Mon_To                SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    57  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  57  Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Tues_From               SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    58  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  58  Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Tues_To               SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    59  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  59  Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Wed_From               SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    60  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  60  Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Wed_To                SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    61  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  61  Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Thurs_From              SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    62  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  62  Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Thurs_To               SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    63  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  63  Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Fri_From               SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    64  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  64  Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Fri_To                SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    65  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  65  Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Sat_From               SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    66  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  66  Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Sat_To                SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    67  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  67  Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Sun_From               SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    68  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\t"  68  Adult_Walk_In_Psychiatry_Sun_To                SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    69  SQLCHAR     0   0   "\r\n" 69  New_referral                      SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

• At this point when I run my bcp script, I get the following in my error log file:

Invalid character value for cast specification @#
    ÿþI                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
    #@ Row 3, Column 4: Invalid character value for cast specification @#

#@ Row 4, Column 4: Invalid character value for cast specification @#

#@ Row 6, Column 4: Invalid character value for cast specification @#

The table is loaded with these rows and they are zeros although the datafile contains data that is not zero:

• First of all, I've only ever seen one other table consisting of mostly NVARCHAR(MAX) columns and it was horribly slow because of it.  I know you're just trying to get some data into the table and might try to "right size" the data types later but thought it would be worth mentioning.

Second, your ID column is an IDENTITY column.  You're not using the -E switch to preserve the imported values for that column.  Are you sure that's what you want?

:Third, I'm under the impression that the import file is a Unicode file but you're not using the -w switch to specify that.

Fourth, the first error you have posted in your last post above has me concerned.  IIRC, SQL Server 12 does not support imports of UTF-8 files and that's the kind of error I remember seeing a couple of years back when someone else tried.  If the first 2 bytes of the file aren't 0xFFEE, then you might not be able to import this file using Bulk Insert or BCP.

Fifth, you might also have something a bit wonky going on in your BCP command because you have a "-c" in one of your file names.  I recommend always using double quotes around the full path of all file names.  You also have spaces missing before things like the -f switch.  I don't know if that's going to hurt anything (probably not because it didn't give you an error) but I don't trust things and so will always include a space before any of the switches, dashed or not.

If you don't want to import the values for the ID column, then here's what I think your BCP command needs to look like.  I'd also be tempted to put braces around the full instance name to bullet proof it for future "illegal: characters.
    bcp FormDotCom.dbo.Outpatient_Access IN "C:\Outpatient_Access_DataLoad\Outpatient_Access.csv" -f"C:\Outpatient_Access_DataLoad\Outpatient_Access-c.fmt" -e"C:\Outpatient_Access_Dataload\Outpatient_error.log" -Smyinstance\namedinstance -T -w

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply