bcp to csv syntax errors

• Hello -

Please help! I am trying to use bcp in a procedure to create a csv file. However I keep getting the following syntax error: Incorrect syntax near 'SELECT * FROM menus.dbo.ri_res WHERE facility_no = '123''.

Here is the simplified code that I am using just trying to get rid of the syntax errors: EXEC master..xp_cmdshell bcp "SELECT * FROM menus.dbo.ri_res WHERE facility_no = '123'" queryout "s:\menus\menu12320091203094911.ri_res.csv" -U SA -n -t| -T -k

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• As per BOL syntax for xp_cmshell is

xp_cmdshell { 'command_string' } [ , no_output ]

Try putting your bcp command in quotes like this:

EXEC master..xp_cmdshell 'bcp "SELECT * FROM menus.dbo.ri_res WHERE facility_no = ''123''" queryout "s:\menus\menu12320091203094911.ri_res.csv" -U SA -n -t| -T -k'

Let me know if its not working out for you.

Thanks,

Supriya

• It seems to have worked - rows affected, etc. However, no file was created.

• Not sure if I replied incorrectly or not, I am new to this. I will try replying to you as well.

It seems to have worked - rows affected, etc. However, no file was created.

• Supriya -

I also noticed that besides no file being created there were only 12 rows were affected when I know there are 86 rows that should have been pulled by the select.

• What is the output you are getting when you run this in SSMS? I am thinking 12 rows affected is 12 line of errors not the number of rows from the table. Also, have you checked the bcp syntax? Its been a while since I used bcp so have to look it up in BOL too. 🙂

Actually, when I ran the statement it's giving me error: "-T' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.NULL"

That maybe because it doesn't like the pipe(-t|) before -T. try replacing it with "-t\t" for a tab just to check if that would create a file for you.

-Supriya

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply