Bear with me

• I'm trying to find a way to loop through 10 parameters and put each value into a temporary value for processing, so I immediately thought Dynamic SQL would work. Currently here's the code.

SET @AddCounter = 1

WHILE @AddCounter < 11
    BEGIN
    SET @TempSQL = 'SET @TempVal = UPPER(RTRIM(LTRIM(@Address' + CAST(@AddCounter AS Varchar(2)) + '))) + '' '''
    EXEC (@TempSQL)
    END
    Obviously this goes out of scope but I cannot for the life of me think of any other way to actually do this where it will actually work except for using 10 seperate statements. Any ideas?

• hard for me to grasp what we are trying to do....can you give examples of the parameters and also the expected output/results?

what does @Address contain?

why can't you just jump straight to @Address10 instead of looping?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• The parameters are UK address lines and I'm going to be doing some processing on them within the loop. So an example would be

@Address1 = '10 Downing Street'

@Address2 = 'Whitehall'

@Address3 = 'London'

@Address4 = 'WC10 9AA'

@Address5 = 'England'

@Address6 = ''

@Address7 = ''

@Address8 = ''

@Address9 = NULL

@Address10 = NULL

• SET @AddCounter = 1

WHILE @AddCounter < 11

BEGIN

SET @TempVal = UPPER(RTRIM(LTRIM(

CASE

WHEN @AddCounter = 1 THEN @Address1

WHEN @AddCounter = 2 THEN @Address2

WHEN @AddCounter = 3 THEN @Address3

WHEN @AddCounter = 4 THEN @Address4

WHEN @AddCounter = 5 THEN @Address5

WHEN @AddCounter = 6 THEN @Address6

WHEN @AddCounter = 7 THEN @Address7

WHEN @AddCounter = 8 THEN @Address8

WHEN @AddCounter = 9 THEN @Address9

WHEN @AddCounter = 10 THEN @Address10

END)))

... code here to process @TempVal

SET @AddCounter = @AddCounter + 1

END

What is the processing per address line, maybe there is a solution without the loop

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• if there's not much more than uppercasing and trimming the entered values, i think i'd use 10 separate statements; it depends on what kind of processing you are doing after you uppercase/trim the values; i feel better avoiding dynamic sql unless i really need it;

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Basically, I'm stripping letter by letter and removing spurious characters and then grouping them into words which I'm storing as an array (well a table variable).

• The Case statement worked and I should've thought of it myself, cheers. So, next question, when I'm breaking down the address I'm adding it into variables the same way using:

SET @TempSQL = 'SET @Item' + CAST(@ItemCount AS Varchar(2)) + ' = @TempItem'

EXEC (@TempSQL)

Where @ItemCount is another loop.

• I think when I've tried to do stuff like that in the past, I've had issues with scope between the dynamic SQL and the code that's calling it.

Again a more thorough explanation of what you're trying to do would be helpful.

Rick Todd

• quote So, next question...

I presume this is the converse of the original problem.

You could use ten IF's or if you wanted to use dynamic sql then

EXEC sp_executesql @TempSQL,

N'@TempItem varchar(50), @Item1 varchar(50) OUTPUT, @Item2 varchar(50) OUTPUT, @Item3 varchar(50) OUTPUT, @Item4 varchar(50) OUTPUT, @Item5 varchar(50) OUTPUT, @Item6 varchar(50) OUTPUT, @Item7 varchar(50) OUTPUT, @Item8 varchar(50) OUTPUT, @Item9 varchar(50) OUTPUT, @Item10 varchar(50) OUTPUT',

@TempItem,

@Item1 OUTPUT,

@Item2 OUTPUT,

@Item3 OUTPUT,

@Item4 OUTPUT,

@Item5 OUTPUT,

@Item6 OUTPUT,

@Item7 OUTPUT,

@Item8 OUTPUT,

@Item9 OUTPUT,

@Item10 OUTPUT

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply