beggining with sql server 2005

• hello every body im a beginner in sql server 2005 please tell me how i can develope my knowledge in this...:(

Regards,

Seetha

• I'd suggest books. First off, all the Inside SQL Server 2005 (or 2008) books are worth reading. Ross Mistry's book on 2008 Administration is good. Joe Sack's book on Transact-SQL Recipes is pretty handy too.

Second resource, this place. Read the questions & answers. Try answering the questions. Use the Books Online (SQL Server documentation, referred to as BOL) because most people who post here can't seem to find the BOL or look things up in it. If you learn how to use the BOL, you'll be the sighted person in the land of the blind.

Third resource, find a local users group. Most of the good ones are PASS Chapters, so hitting the SQL Pass web site (www.sqlpass.org) would be the best bet. You'll be able to watch presentations on various topics and network with others.

Finally, go back to the PASS web site again and look through the material there. There are lots of good resources to point you to other resources for learning such as Top 10 lists, community lists, articles in the SIG areas.

That ought to keep you busy.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I agree with Grant.

Also, get yourself a copy of Express and play about with that as well. Can't beat hands on learning!

• I agree with Grant and Clive, with one exception. If you really want to get down and dirty with SQL Server, spend the approximately $50.00 USD and get the Developers Edition of SQL Server. This will get you everything that is available in the Enterprise Edition and allow you to learn and play with all the available features in SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server 2008.

• I agree with Clive and Lynn, especially Lynn. If you're really planning on making a career out of SQL Server, $50 for the developer's edition, which has everything, is a very small price to pay.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Is this an agreement party? 😉

One other book I'd recommend, more for development than admin. T-SQL Fundamentals by Itzik Ben-Gan. It's written for SQL 2008, not 2005, but they are not all that different. You'll just have to be aware what features were introduced in 2008. Most of the book though is applicable for both.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks for ur reply!!!!

• You have taken the right step by joining SQLSERVERCENTRAL.COM

Now that you are in the right hands stick with us.

Find the attached you might find it useful.

Tanx 😀

• You can also use the Evaluation Edition of SQL Server 2005/2008 for Free.

Microsoft is offering this evaluation copy for 180 days. I think within that period, you will learn how to start using SQL Server.

Check the Technet (technet.microsoft.com) site, and go to Evaluation Software....

Also search in e-snips website, you will find some valuable resources in that as well.

Welcome to SQL family...:-):-)

Thanks & Regards,
    Sudeepta.
    http://twitter.com/skganguly

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply