Begin and Rollback transaction with Being Try and Catch and GOTO statement

• I create a store procedure with Begin and Rollback transaction with Being Try and Catch and GOTO statement but getting an error in my store procedure below.I am trying to capture each statement step where it failed and immediately GOTO rollback transaction with specific step error message.  My store procedure syntax is as below. Please advise. Thanks.

Msg 3903, Level 16, State 1, Line 449
    "The ROLLBACK TRANSACTION request has no corresponding BEGIN TRANSACTION"

CREATE PROC WYZ
    AS 
    BEGIN
      BEGIN TRY
          BEGIN TRANSACTION  
            BEGIN TRY  
             INSERT INTO AA .....
              END TRY

BEGIN CATCH
            SET @ErrorStep ='INSERT INTO AA table Erro........r'
             GOTO ABORT_TRAN 
             END CATCH

BEGIN TRY
             Update ABC Set =.......      
              END TRY

BEGIN CATCH
             SET @ErrorStep ='Update ABC table error.........'
             GOTO ABORT_TRAN
             END CATCH

BEGIN TRY
             Delete DEF table ........          
             END TRY 

BEGIN CATCH
             SET @ErrorStep =' Delete DEF table error........' 
             GOTO ABORT_TRAN
             END CATCH 

COMMIT TRANSACTION 
    END TRY
     BEGIN CATCH
      GOTO ABORT_TRAN
     END CATCH

ABORT_TRAN: 

SELECT ERROR_MESSAGE() +'On Error step: ' + @ErrorStep 
       ROLLBACK TRANSACTION 
    END
     GO

• Don't use GOTO.

Try reading this and using this sort of structure instead: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Data+Mart/67606/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• You paid so much attention to catching errors that you forgot about error-less run.
    What if there are no errors?

You execute
    COMMIT TRANSACTION
    END TRY
    then you skip CATCH ang straight to ABORT_TRAN with its ROLLBACK TRANSACTION.
    Since you have already committed the transaction ROLLBACK has no transaction to roll back.

• Don't use goto. Use a single try/catch block for the entire operation instead, i.e.

CREATE PROC WYZ
    AS
    BEGIN
     BEGIN TRY
      BEGIN TRANSACTION

INSERT INTO AA .....
       Update ABC Set =.......

COMMIT TRANSACTION
     END TRY
     BEGIN CATCH

ROLLBACK TRANSACTION
     END CATCH
    END
    GO

• andycadley - Wednesday, September 12, 2018 9:07 PM

Don't use goto. Use a single try/catch block for the entire operation instead, i.e.

CREATE PROC WYZ
    AS
    BEGIN
     BEGIN TRY
      BEGIN TRANSACTION

INSERT INTO AA .....
       Update ABC Set =.......

COMMIT TRANSACTION
     END TRY
     BEGIN CATCH

ROLLBACK TRANSACTION
     END CATCH
    END
    GO

Yeah, but what if you can't figure out which one of your 10k rows caused the error? I like Mel Sansone's approach (link above in my post), try the set of data, if it works great, if not, fail and start row-by-row processing, log the errors when they happen but get the good ones in.

Thom has a good point in the comments about using some sort of exponential search approach for large data, cutting the set in half each time it fails and re-trying, because you might just have one row out of a million causing you issues. I haven't done that myself because I don't work with data that large, but it's a good idea.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• jonathan.crawford - Thursday, September 13, 2018 5:18 AM

Yeah, but what if you can't figure out which one of your 10k rows caused the error? I like Mel Sansone's approach (link above in my post), try the set of data, if it works great, if not, fail and start row-by-row processing, log the errors when they happen but get the good ones in.

Thom has a good point in the comments about using some sort of exponential search approach for large data, cutting the set in half each time it fails and re-trying, because you might just have one row out of a million causing you issues. I haven't done that myself because I don't work with data that large, but it's a good idea.

Sure, if you're dealing with thousands of rows of potentially unreliable data you might have need for a more intricate procedure, but there is nothing in the OP that actually suggests that is the case. It might very well just be a series of operations for adding a single item into the database.

• Thanks Everyone. I made the change base of andycadley recommendation. I did not get any errors on capture specific SQL statement because I do not have any errors to capture for now.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply