Beginner book suggestions?

• Hi all,

I'm looking for a book that is good for SQL Server beginners. I remember my first book was Sam's Teach yourself SQL Server 7 in 21 days, I thought that was a pretty good book back then. Taught me everything basic I needed to know about installing and administrating SQL Servers, got me started programming in T-SQL. Nowadays I work as a SQL dev and learn my codes from the fine examples on this website, and reading books like K. Henderson's "The Guru's Guide to T-SQL / SPROCS + XML + HTML".

So, what would you guys recommend alone the lines of "Teach Your in 21 days", or "SQL Svr for Dummies"... Thank you all!

Nick

• Is this for the SQL Language?

If so, I think Ken Henderson's book is still good also give people Transact SQL Programming (O'Reilly Press) as a get started book. There's a sqlcourse.com that's also decent.

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

• the "21 days" series are usually good for an intro. If you're already a SS7 experienced user, I would say go with Books online. You can download it for free and run your printer out of toner printing your own hard copy if you wish.

SQL Server doc seems to be the exception to Microsoft doco in that it's accurate, comprehensive and complete.

If you get the SS2K 120-day free eval, it's on the CD, too.

Start with the admin guide, the conversion guide and "what's new."

• For dummies is the most generic and easiest to give a newbie. But don't forget there are companies that make video classes as well that may be helpful. I forget what we bought a year ago but we keep it in the office library for check out anytime a person wants. We bought it for a group of SQL users who had to know basic SQL syntax.

Then you might also try SQL In A Nutshell. Very light and covers some on each of the 4 majors plus ANIS stuff which is common to all. Can find here http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565927443/ref=ase_atechbusiness-20/103-7010596-8358204

Also, might try digging around on ebay for ideas or low cost books that might work.

Edited by - antares686 on 12/11/2002 3:30:53 PM

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply