Behaviour of SQL Agent that I can't explain.

• A colleague of mine ran into something really weird this morning. I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has an explaination.

We're creating an identical copy of our prod server for various business reasons (not going into that). as part of that, we've scripted all the jobs from the prod server and run the scripts on the new replica server.

One job in particular was created on the new server at 19h00 on the 14th. It was created enabled and with an enabled schedule for 3am.

At 01h54, the job was modified and set to disabled. The job was manually run a minute later. No additional modifications were done to the job. Currently, it is still disabled

At 03h00, the job ran, invoked by the schedule.

If I look at the job properties, I see the following

Created: 2007/11/14 19:00:25

Last modified: 2007/11/15 01:54:24

Last executed: 2007/11/15 03:00:00

If I look in the job's history, the entry for the 3am run reads

The job succeeded. The Job was invoked by Schedule 460.

ie, the job ran, invoked by the schedule, even though it was disabled at the time.

Short of smeone having done direct updates to the sqljobs table in MSDB, is there any feasible explaination for this? It's not just one job. Several on two different replica servers are doing the same thing.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I've seen this happening on sql 2000 boxes, even to the extent of an hourly job set to run from 08:00 to 18:00 continuing 24 x 7. I think it may be something to do with schedulers and may or may not be an issue fixed in sp2 of w2k3. I usually find a service restart fixes it although sometimes it requires a server reboot. There's never any reported errors so it's difficult to track.

I know that doesn't really help - but if you're not on sp2 try the upgrade.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply