Benefits using seperate Database

• What is the benefit to use seperate database...I mean if u have one database or two databases what is difference between them?

• There are lots of benefits and lots of drawbacks to it.

Here's some that I think of:

Pros:

1. Database maintenance per database will run faster against each database as there's less data/objects in each.

2. Different database settings such as isolation level, recovery model, etc...

3. You can separate them out via schemas.

4. You can use synonyms so that it'll appear they are all in the same database.

Cons:

1. Recovery could be dependent upon both databases if there is data that needs to be in sync between the two.

2. More to maintain, so I find that annoying as a DBA.

There's lots more to add to both lists, but that should give you a start.

Tara Kizer
    Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
    Ramblings of a DBA (My SQL Server Blog)[/url]
    Subscribe to my blog

• For me, the question is, one database or many, why are you splitting them? Do you have different applications with different sets of users and different sets of data and, most importantly, different development & deployment schedules? If the answer to most of these is yes, then you'll probably want to seperate the databases. If you're just looking at a single app, with shared data and common users, I wouldn't recommend seperating the databases.

Why are you asking?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply