Best Approach

• I am trying to display various activities in the table through a Query . What will be the best way to display an activity with NULL or 0 if its not in the table .Say I want to see Security and Housekeeping ...How can I add that to the Query

Create table #Temp ( Activity Varchar(100) , Hours Int)

Insert into #Temp values ('Administration', 20)

Insert into #Temp values( 'Payroll', 30)

• You need to have one table having all activities and then you outer join your table to it.

• Exactly what I was thinking. Where do those other two values come from? They have to be stored somewhere and then you join to that.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Yeah but since there are just 2-3 such additional activities . I was wondering we we can tweak the query and see if the table has it if not add it to the result set. Is that possible?

• Another approach would be to hard code your list into a temporary table in the query and then join to that. Not pretty, but it'll work. There just has to be a way to know "this should be there" and then have a mechanism for dealing with it if it's not. The best way to define "this should be here" in a relational storage engine is to store something somewhere.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Everything said here was spot on. You're probably best doing this in a lookup table of sorts. That said, here is an example of the sort of "hard coding" Grant described:

;with possibleActivities (Activity) as

(

select 'Administration' union all

select 'Payroll' union all

select 'Security' union all

select 'Housekeeping'

), results (Activity, [Hours]) as

(

select 'Administration', 20 union all

select 'Payroll', 30

)

select

Activity = p.Activity,

[Hours] = isnull(r.Hours, 0)

from possibleActivities p

left outer join results r

on p.Activity = r.Activity

Executive Junior Cowboy Developer, Esq.[/url]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply