Best hardware configuration for sql server 2008 enterprise edition

• jefydominic (4/29/2011)

I have taken hardware configuration from DELL SQL Advisor, It is given below.

DELL Power Edge server 2950

CPU - one quad intel processor 64Bit

RAM - 32GB

HBAs - 2 (Single Port Fibre Channel)

Storage System : Dell | EMC CX3-10 (2 additional DAEs)

4 RAID arrays.

1. RAID 1/0 - OS and backups

2. RAID 1/0 - tempdb, system dbs

3. RAID 1/0 - Application database

4. RAID 1/0 - Log files

I think above configuration is too expensive.

Please check above configuration

Thank you

Jefy

Agreeing with Steve, and based on what you stated so far, you could go with

1. RAID 1 - OS and backups

2. RAID 1/0 - tempdb, system dbs

3. RAID 1/0 - Application database AND Log files

--
    Thiago Dantas
    @DantHimself

• Follows Steve's Great Advise. He is right.

RAID 5 has be avoided like Plague for Databases. The best options are RAID 1 or RAID 10. Usually the difference is Cost. RAID 10 is much expensive than Raid 1. If you have budget constraints then go with RAID 1 for all the disks. The drawback of RAID 1 is you have only 50 % Disk utilization. The only place where you could RAID 5 is for the backup drives.

Adding hardware doesn't improve the performance right away. You need to optimize the hardware configuration, Optimize the SQL Server Configuration, Optimize the queries and also regularly maintain the Indexes and statistics.

Thank You,

Best Regards,

SQLBuddy

• I'm not sure I'd say R5 is the plague, but it is a risk. Two failures is bad news, and even if you have a hot spare, it doesn't mean you won't have issues. For many databases, teh performance is acceptable because we don't stress them that much. However I might learn towards going from a 4 disk R5 array (3 drive array, one spare) to a 4 disk R10 array instead. The risk seems to be lower.

If you have sets of 5 disks, definitely go R10 and add a hot spare. It should protect you better.

• Thank you for all your suggestions and responses....

Jefy

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply