Best software to image servers

• I have 5 Servers. Two are SQL 2008 server setting on a 2008 server OS. Two SQL 2005 servers running on 2003 server OS. One Domain Controllers using 2008 server OS. They are all HP proliant.

In addition to that I have 20 windows XP desktops.

I need some software that will allow me to capture images of the machines at some point of time. I need something that works on both servers and clients. I only need to do full backups/images, no need for differential and such.

Previously I have used Ghost for desktops, but I don't think it supports imaging servers.

What is your professional opinion?

Thanks

• Is this for DR? Or another purpose? There are P2V tools (physical to virtual) that can capture an image of a machine for migration purposes, but this can work well for capturing a server image. Not sure if you can V2P it, but check.

Other than that, I'd think the various Windows backup software vendors could help here, but I don't have a recommendation.

• Not sure how much help this is but you may want to look into a virtualization product like VMware or Hyper-V. They have the capability to take an image of your server. Who knows - maybe this is good time to virtualize?

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

• This is for DR purposes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply