best way to denote a numbered item

• Hi,

I want to implemement a maintenance schedule for a store.As a result, I need some way of denoting the jobs that have been carried out.I was wondering if you could advise.

The short question is as follows:

I have a tblJobCategory:

jobCategoryId jobCategoryName

--------- ---------------

1 scheduledMaintenance

When the user wants to create a new ‘scheduledMaintenance’ job for a store, they would like to know WHICH ‘‘scheduledMaintenance’ job they are creating. Eg, is it the 1st, 2nd etc

Should I append a number on to the ‘jobCategoryName’, before I return it to the user?

Eg, if a store has already had 3 ‘scheduledMaintenance’ jobs carried out at it, I would like the user to see the ‘jobCategoryName’ as ‘scheduledMaintenance4’. Is this the best way to go?Maybe I am way off track, but below is a better (and longer explanation)

Each store will have a designated quantity of ‘scheduledMaintenance’ jobs.

This quantity is held in tblStore.

storeId qtyAnnualSchedMaintenance

1 4

I have 2 tables to denote a job

i) tblJob

jobId jobCategoryId

1 2

ii)tblJobCategory

jobCategoryId jobCategoryName

2 scheduledMaintenance

My thoughts are that I would like to append a number on to the end of the ‘jobCategoryName’ so that the user will know which ‘scheduledMaintenance’ job that they are dealing with.

Eg, if the store has not had any scheduledMaintenance jobs carried out this year, then the sproc should return the jobCategoryName as schedMaint1.

Sorry for the length, folks.I am keen to hear your thoughts on this.I can of course expand on the explanation, if I haven't already sent all of you to sleep 🙂

Ta mucho.

yogiberr

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply