best way to detect locking

• Jack,

you said:

U have it configured to respond via email at 5 minute intervals and it is. I actually modified it to rises about 40 and I just got another. You can check the history to see if you are ever meeting the condition

Where did you configure this? I still can't get my alert to fire and it should have today. My BufferHitCacheRation was well below 95 for a significant time, and the alert never fired.

Your help is greatly appreciated here as I would really like to understand and configure some performance alerts.

Thanks,

Lynn

😎

• i did it with the criteria of 40 and started firing one after the other, that's why i was asking you what would be a good number.

• Lynn,

Attached is a Word Doc with screen shots of my Alert.

Here is the Alert scripted by SSMS:

USE [msdb]

GO

/****** Object: Alert [Test] Script Date: 04/04/2008 15:06:58 ******/

EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_add_alert @name=N'Test',

@message_id=0,

@severity=0,

@enabled=0,

@delay_between_responses=300,

@include_event_description_in=1,

@category_name=N'[Uncategorized]',

@performance_condition=N'SQLServer:Locks|Lock Requests/sec|_Total|>|40',

@job_id=N'00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000'

I can't seem to get an alert based on BUfferCacheHitRatio to work either. I have tried adding the alert with if Falls Below 100 and I am not getting any alerts generated.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• DBA (4/4/2008)

i did it with the criteria of 40 and started firing one after the other, that's why i was asking you what would be a good number.

You should run PerfMon for awhile to see what you are getting for peaks and averages then set your alert to that level.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Earlier today my BufferHitCacheRation was down to an average 75 for a good 30 minutes, and the alert never fired.

We did find the solution to our slow PO performance issue; we found a query that was doing a clustered index scan over a very wide table with approximately 250,000 rows. Put an index on the columns used in the where clause and BANG, everything is working great and the users are very happy now (the lynching party became a celebration so to speak).

😎

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply