best way to find nulls? where [MyColumn] is null

• Sounds like a description of Quantum Mechanics to me ๐Ÿ™‚

Kenneth FisherI was once offered a wizards hat but it got in the way of my dunce cap.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]For better answers on performance questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/[/url]Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com[/url]

• I have been told Quantum Mechanics are easier for many folks. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Heh... I like the "downtown" explanation better.

Light on = True... Light off = False... NULL = who the hell stole my lamp ๐Ÿ˜›

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Damn..

Quantum mechanics is fun. I love the uncertaincy envelope.

But getting practical Thermodynamics is much more interesting.

Especially the zeroth law..

• don't forget max planck.

he says that the law proves that we can define a temperature function, or more informally, that we can 'construct a thermometer'. whether this is true is a subject in the philosophy of thermal and statistical physics. go wiki ๐Ÿ™‚

• I'm not certain about that...

• I prefer the cat and the poison question...

Is the cat in the bag with the poison dead or alive?

The answers is 'both'... until you open the bag.

... Although I do wish he would be dead.

• Well, there are several outcomes to any question..

(yes, no, dunno, not a number) do name a few. But databases are deterministic (assuming they work perfectly). You''ll get the same result every time ( assuming of course that you set the time correctly )

So, let's not get into probability envelopes and invoke Heisenberg... Or I'll start getting thermodynamic...

• And Heisenberg regretted asking the "cat in a box" question... as it distracted people.

The answer is not BOTH, or either. You will not know until the probability envelope collapses and we have a deterministic state...

Now, I like determinism, which is why I'm a coder ๐Ÿ™‚

• schrรถdinger's cat?? wow...

whats more interesting is how we are getting into

the conundrum of quantum mechanics in an sql forum??

apparently the questions of sql no matter how small

are spanning the mysterious rift of science.

perhaps sql not astrophysics will help us understand

more about our universe.

go SQL Server !

• Because humans can mostly understand SQL

Quantum mechanics is fun, but has not been shown (yet) how we can process data

• this is true...

i usually delve in sql when i need a break from building my time machine.

since i have not affectively measured the speed in which one is in the

caboose of a train traveling at the speed of light, then walks to the front thus

traversing the speed.

my mind is a pretzel. i need sql to unravel it.

• See now I just use my already completed time machine to check on the answers for my SQL questions.

I mean time travel is easy .. just make a promise to yourself to bring the time machine back to now once you have it invented.

Kenneth FisherI was once offered a wizards hat but it got in the way of my dunce cap.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]For better answers on performance questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/[/url]Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com[/url]

• Umm..

personally I prefer c# to unravel my train of thought... although i do appreciate the paradigm shift to set based operatons :-).

I'm very very good at unravelling twisted balls of string...

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply