Best way to find the number of rows for a view

• Hello Folks,

I am facing a strange problem.

As part of a big solution. I have to validate each record of an object (can be a view or Table) in batches. (the batch size is fixed number like 10 K ). while making the records into batches I have to know the number of records in that object . I am facing the issues.

I have an identity column on all the tables so no issue if the object is a Table. I am getting count by using this query SELECT IDENT_CURRENT ('dbo.Customer' ).

But for the if the object is a view, then I am facing the issue. Couple of views are returning 3 million records, for views I wrote the query like this " SELECT COUNT(1) FROM dbo.VwCustomer". and this query is taking almost 8-10 minutes and facing timeout issues. one more thing the view " dbo.VwCustomer " has very complex select statements.

Please help me; how to get the record count for that view in an efficient way.

Thanks in advance.

• anand_vanam (7/26/2011)

I have an identity column on all the tables so no issue if the object is a Table. I am getting count by using this query SELECT IDENT_CURRENT ('dbo.Customer' ).

That assumes you've never had a failed insert and never had a delete. Dangerous assumption. Rather query sys.partitions for the row count.

SELECT count(*) from ViewName

It's the only way. If it's taking a long time it means your view is not very efficient and queries that use it are performing badly too.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • i suspected what gail said, where you have to use a SELECT * FROM VIEWNAME was the only way to do rowcounts for views.

for tables, you can use the indexes to get the coutns really quickly for tables:

--edited for accuracy: thanks Gail!

SELECT

S.name AS schemaname,

T.name AS tablename,

SUM(P.rows) AS rows

FROM

sys.partitions P

INNER JOIN sys.tables T

ON P.object_Id = T.object_id

INNER JOIN sys.schemas S

ON T.schema_id = S.schema_id

WHERE P.index_id IN (0,1)

GROUP BY P.object_Id,P.index_id ,S.name ,T.name

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell, to be completely accurate you should sum that grouped by object_id, index_id. If the table is partitioned, there will be multiple rows in there for a single table.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (7/26/2011)

Lowell, to be completely accurate you should sum that grouped by object_id, index_id. If the table is partitioned, there will be multiple rows in there for a single table.

As always, Thanks Gail! you help make me a better poster;

I edited my example, and it seems to return accurate results, but i didn't create any partitioned tables to test it agaisnt to see for myself.

Thanks!

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• GilaMonster (7/26/2011)

anand_vanam (7/26/2011)

That assumes you've never had a failed insert and never had a delete. Dangerous assumption. Rather query sys.partitions for the row count.

SELECT count(*) from ViewName

It's the only way. If it's taking a long time it means your view is not very efficient and queries that use it are performing badly too.

Many thanks,

Will change the statement for Tables. and see I can write an efficient statement to create the view.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply