BI License

• Does anyone have any approach on how to actually utilize the license structure of 2012 BI where you could actually have users attach to a data warehouse. It looks like they force having to go to enterprise edition

• Not sure I follow. I thought it followed the same sort of terms as the Enterprise CAL licenses in 2008? E.g. you buy CALS for the number of users who are allowed connections to the data warehouse... Obviously Enterprise core licensing will become more economic after a certain number of users, but that's nothing new.

• Problem is they don't offer proc license for BI, so if you build a corporate warehouse you almost have to go for enterprise edition (29K a proc). Should have renamed BU version mini-mart

• $9K/server + $209/user allows for the lesser of 4 sockets or 16 cores & 64GB of RAM for BI Edition. That could be viewed as a bargain when compared to Enterprise proc licensing @ $7K/core, depending on how many users you anticipate having to support. Is 16 cores and 64GB even enough horsepower for your databases? How many users are we talking?

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Proof of concept would be about 100, but if it flies could be 1000, THinking of doing the proof version on BI and see if software vendor if there is an upgrade path from BI to enterprise

• timscronin (1/3/2013)

Proof of concept would be about 100, but if it flies could be 1000, THinking of doing the proof version on BI and see if software vendor if there is an upgrade path from BI to enterprise

Microsoft supports BI Edition to Enterprise Edition "upgrades" but not sure if that is what you meant by "vendor." It's almost certainly a simple SKU upgrade for SQL Server, i.e. no need to migrate anything and no regression in terms of available functionality. Consider that BI Edition is limited in some areas too when compared to Enterprise Edition, e.g. online index rebuilds are not available on BI Edition.

If you're starting with 100 users I could see BI Edition possibly working and being a nice value proposition, depending on the workload and the SLA. If it takes off to 1000 users and a large percent of that will be concurrent users, or the workload is rough on the hardware to begin with, then you could be looking at needing more hardware than what BI Edition allows forcing you to Enterprise Edition for that reason.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply