Big pages

• Hi Steve

I noticed that you mentioned the website devs were looking into scaling problems. Is it at all possible that they can also look into the page sizes at the same time?

I was checking my bandwidth usage earlier, and I noticed that all of the forum pages here are at least 100kb in size, many reaching 400-500 kb. That's just the html, not counting any images, css files, js files or ads.

I know this probably isn't a problem to most people, who have large amounts of very cheap bandwidth, but some of us in the uncivilised parts of the world 🙂 are still using forms of dial up.

I've had to resort to using my laptop's 3g card and just browsing through few posts from last night (around 35 pages in total) used up almost 10% of my monthly data allowance.

Please?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I'd like to reduce the size. Not sure how much work I'll get done there. The developers apparently like .NET and Javascript and generated lots of it, not really paying attention to size and assuming bandwidth becomes cheaper and more available all the time.

And they've quit.

We're hiring in Cambridge if anyone wants to ASP.NET their way around life.

• Steve Jones - Editor (2/14/2008)

I'd like to reduce the size. Not sure how much work I'll get done there. The developers apparently like .NET and Javascript and generated lots of it, not really paying attention to size and assuming bandwidth becomes cheaper and more available all the time.

I'm sure it is, in most parts of the world. I'm still paying $100/month for 128kb and a 5GB cap and another $70/month for 512MB allowance on a 3G card 🙁

Funny story. Someone down here calculated that it was faster and cheaper to fly to Hong Kong, download 9GB at an internet cafe, burn to DVD and fly home than it was to download said 9GB here over the best connection we can get.

And they've quit.

Typical. I'm guessing that they won't be getting a sterling recommendation from you at any point in the future

Thanks for looking into it.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Something small that may help.

I just noticed that the forum combo box at the bottom of every page has all the forums in it. Including all the hundreds of 'Content by....' forums.

If there's an easy way to hide those, or even remove the combo completely I'm sure it would drop the size of the pages down quite a bit. A quick check revealed that the combo box is 112 kb in size.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply