Bingle is my Senior DBA

• pdanes (10/8/2016)

I don't know about for the net in general, but for this forum, maybe Steve could institute some sort of marking for people that know what they are talking about. Not just the existing ranking system of Grasshopper to SSCoach, but a "Trusted Responder" marking of some sort? People like you, Gail and a few others who can be relied upon to not give out false information, that would have a special color or some other such graphic marking, and possibly give such people control over other people's responses to a thread they are addressing, like the ability to delete a contribution that you know to be wrong or misleading, and maybe even lock a thread closed, as "Done, nothing more to discuss on this topic".

I don't know how much he can configure the software he uses to run this forum, but such a pool of people might help cut down some of the confusion that results from multiple opinions on a topic. Of course, you guys would have to be careful what you write in such cases, and make clear distinctions between your own personal preferences, experiences in odd situations and solid facts.

Is there not a concern here that it then becomes a bit "Let Gail, Jeff, Gus, Grant ... " answer it show and few others do any of the work? Admittedly they mostly do anyway, but one of the things I think many find valuable (I do when I have time - or when something's running) is the nudge to hone their areas of knowledge and expand their areas of competence by becoming involved and researching the answers to trickier questions, even if you are 90% certain by the time you're got there a better answer will be posted. To some, that SO type approach can be a little offputting possibly.

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• I agree with Andrew. Everyone has something to offer. Let's not put up any barriers in front of people chancing their hand at answering posts and attempting to help each other.

Even I try to do my bit!!!

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Just curious if anyone tracks the minimum, maximum, average and median types it takes them to respond to a question.

My guess it that the minimum is in the range of 5-15 seconds and the other 3 numbers vary, even with the same person over time.

My goal is to get a helpful, meaningful response to someone when you don't have the time to give them more time.

412-977-3526 call/text

• Stefan LG (10/10/2016)

Higher education institutions should teach students staff the basic concepts of database design, implementation and programming.

FTFY

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• Up Vote this idea!

Everything about stackexchange/stackoverflow!

• andrew gothard (10/11/2016)

pdanes (10/8/2016)

I don't know about for the net in general, but for this forum, maybe Steve could institute some sort of marking for people that know what they are talking about. Not just the existing ranking system of Grasshopper to SSCoach, but a "Trusted Responder" marking of some sort? People like you, Gail and a few others who can be relied upon to not give out false information, that would have a special color or some other such graphic marking, and possibly give such people control over other people's responses to a thread they are addressing, like the ability to delete a contribution that you know to be wrong or misleading, and maybe even lock a thread closed, as "Done, nothing more to discuss on this topic".

I don't know how much he can configure the software he uses to run this forum, but such a pool of people might help cut down some of the confusion that results from multiple opinions on a topic. Of course, you guys would have to be careful what you write in such cases, and make clear distinctions between your own personal preferences, experiences in odd situations and solid facts.

Is there not a concern here that it then becomes a bit "Let Gail, Jeff, Gus, Grant ... " answer it show and few others do any of the work? Admittedly they mostly do anyway, but one of the things I think many find valuable (I do when I have time - or when something's running) is the nudge to hone their areas of knowledge and expand their areas of competence by becoming involved and researching the answers to trickier questions, even if you are 90% certain by the time you're got there a better answer will be posted. To some, that SO type approach can be a little offputting possibly.

Exactly what I was talking about before. The Community of folks, heavy hitter or not, has a huge potential to take even the best ideas and improve them. A prime example is the community effort in the humble DelimitedSplit8K function. It was a great idea and the community has made constant improvements to it. Even after the exponential performance problem was solved in the Tally-O article, someone stepped up and showed how to make it 10-20% faster still. After that, a new version of SQL Server came out and someone made it twice as fast by using new functionality to make it nearly as fast as a CLR now.

Never close a post. Never think a process or method is "best" just because a well known heavy hitter has written code to solve it. Continue to press the envelope on everything. Always ask yourself "What if...".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• People are too lazy to read anymore, so we switched to audible messages. People expect targeted-answers in audio-visual format like YouTube and Snap Chat. We got tired of hearing "I'm too busy to read your response", and "your response was too long," so we switched to audible responses. People won’t even read a 20-word error message, let alone a 50-word email, but they gladly listen to a 500-word-audible response, especially if it has a photo or video. Hence, all our helpdesk responses are now audible or audio-visual emails. This improved comprehension and customer satisfaction.

• natural language is not the best fit for the world of computers.

I sometimes need to demo detailed and very technical testing scenarios and sometimes training. And no matter how motivated my colleagues are (and this is certainly true for me also when I need instruction) screen shots and A-V are much more effective for technical descriptions of detailed computer related communications.

this is just the world of computers.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply