bitwise identity for static lookup table???

• I would like to create an identity on a static lookup table that can be used in bitwise operators. The static table will be used in a bitwise lookup to see if the particular record has an error against it. The main problem is that each record could have multiple errors.

Example Valid

0 = Item OK

1 = Issue1

2 = Issue2

4 = Issue3

8 = Issue4

16 = Issue5

32 = Issue6

For example a record with a value of 35 would have Issue1, Issue4 and Issue5.

1. I really don’t want to introduce a new table to store this information.

2. I don't want the administrator to have to calculate the next identity value each time a new value is added

Thanks for the help…

• This design limits the number of possible values to:

• 31 if the Int field is used.
    • 63 if the BigInt field is used.

If you are happy with that then why not prepopulate the table.  Issues are only 2n-1

• Cheers...

But the size of the field isn't an issue the real question is creating the identity with LastIdentity2.

Do you have any ideas?

• DECLARE @tbl TABLE(Id Int , Issue CHAR(8))

DECLARE @byLoop TinyInt

SET @byLoop=1

WHILE @byLoop<32

BEGIN

INSERT @tbl(Id , Issue)

SELECT POWER(2,@byLoop-1),'Issue ' + CAST(@byLoop AS VARCHAR(2))

SET @byLoop=@byLoop+1

END

SELECT * from @tbl

• Note POWER will give an arithmetic error if you exceed 31 issues because POWER can only return a 32 bit integer.

• Thanks!

I think i just need to plug that into a udf and call it from the item default.

Sorry it the first time i've posted a question do i have to give you points???

Once again thanks a lot...

• No there's no point involved in this forum... except maybe the number of postings we do and how well we performe in the Question of the day "contest".

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply