Blocking Objects

• If a process / spid is blocking, what is the best way to query what tables are being locked by name?

When I see a spid blocking, I want to be able to say "spid x is blocking by holding resources from table y"

Thanks,

John

• There may be a better way in 2005, because I am not familiar with all the DMV's, but sp_lock will show the resources locked and accepts a SPID as a parameter.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Hi!

Well, here - http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/stryk/archive/2008/11/03/blocks-amp-deadlocks-in-nav-with-sql-server.aspx - I describe how I deal with blocks & deadlocks, incl. several code examples.

(Have in min that I'm a NAV-developer and probably my TSQL is not that smart :blush:)

Maybe this could help you.

Kind regards,

Jörg

Jörg A. Stryk
    MVP - MS Dynamics NAV

• John (1/10/2009)

If a process / spid is blocking, what is the best way to query what tables are being locked by name?

When I see a spid blocking, I want to be able to say "spid x is blocking by holding resources from table y"

Well, IMHO, the best way is to use the Activity Monitor under the "Management" folder in SSMS. IT has the advantage of autmatically translating most of the resource/object id in the context of their own database. Almost every other (free) method, will require multiple steps to get there.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Jorg, that link is very helpful. I was looking for a more general solution for 2000 but that's great for 2005. My big problem is interpretting the lock resources. Activity monitor is nice but sometimes it's not as quick to respond as I'd like.

A direct query is always nice. I'd like to take a blocked spid and see exactly what database / object name is being blocked. (or a blocker spid)

Thanks

John

• You're welcome - I'm always glad if I could help 🙂

Jörg A. Stryk
    MVP - MS Dynamics NAV

• John (1/10/2009)

If a process / spid is blocking, what is the best way to query what tables are being locked by name?

Thanks,

John

U can use following scripts:

-- tO FIND OUT WAITING PROCESS ------------

select ec.session_id,'dbcc inputbuffer ('+convert(varchar,ec.session_id)+')',st.text,

es.login_name,es.login_time,er.status,

er.start_time,datediff(minute,er.start_time,getdate()) as Diff_Min,er.command,er.database_id, db_name(er.database_id)as DBName,er.blocking_session_id,

er.wait_type,er.wait_time,er.last_wait_type,er.wait_resource,er.open_transaction_count,er.transaction_id,er.cpu_time,er.total_elapsed_time

from sys.dm_exec_connections ec

inner join sys.dm_exec_sessions es on (ec.session_id = es.session_id)

inner join sys.dm_exec_requests er on (ec.connection_id = er.connection_id)

CROSS APPLY sys.dm_exec_sql_text(er.sql_handle) AS st

-- TO FIND NODE PROCESS FOR BLOCKING -----------

SELECT spid, status, loginame=substring(loginame, 1, 12),

hostname=substring(hostname, 1, 12),

blk=CONVERT(char(3), blocked),

open_tran,dbname=substring(db_name(dbid),1,10),cmd,

waittype, waittime, last_batch

FROM master.dbo.sysprocesses

WHERE spid IN (SELECT blocked FROM master.dbo.sysprocesses) AND blocked=0

--for 20005

select r.session_id, r.blocking_session_id, r.database_id, r.command, s.last_request_start_time, s.login_name, r.last_wait_type, r.status

from sys.dm_exec_requests r

join sys.dm_exec_sessions s on r.session_id = s.session_id

where (r.blocking_session_id > 0 and r.blocking_session_id <> r.session_id)

or r.session_id in (select session_id from sys.dm_exec_requests where blocking_session_id > 0 and blocking_session_id <> session_id)

--for 2000

select spid, blocked, dbid, cmd, last_batch, loginame, lastwaittype, status

from master..sysprocesses

where (blocked > 0 and blocked <> spid)

or spid in (select spid from master..sysprocesses where blocked > 0 and blocked <> spid)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Paresh Prajapati
    ➡ +919924626601
    http://paresh-sqldba.blogspot.com/[/url]
    LinkedIn | Tweet Me | FaceBook | Brijj

• None of these actually do what John asked Paresh.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• DBCC INPUTBUFFER(spid) will give you a hint what that spid is running. From there, you may find a clue.

• sunny Brook (1/16/2009)

DBCC INPUTBUFFER(spid) will give you a hint what that spid is running. From there, you may find a clue.

Yes, that i already posted..

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Paresh Prajapati
    ➡ +919924626601
    http://paresh-sqldba.blogspot.com/[/url]
    LinkedIn | Tweet Me | FaceBook | Brijj

• The deadlocks blocks is tough to graph but i would suggest using this tool

http://sqlsolutions.com/products/sql-deadlock-detector/index.html

I have used this and it is great.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply