Blowfish Encryption Toolkit on SS 2008 R2

• Hi,

I have previously used the blowfish encryption toolkit quite happily in applications using SQL Server 2005. Now I am trying to run the very same apps on a SS 2008 R2 and am getting errors. The errors generated by the xp_blowfishencrypt function are 17750 error code which I believe relates to the dlls.

Has anyone succesfully used the toolkit with 2008 R2 or had experience of solving this problem when migrating to 2008 R2.

Many Thanks

• Error: 17750 is "Could not load the DLL ", you are correct.

the xp_dlls are in the Binn folder of the correct instance, right? i know you can get that error due to dependancy or file path issues, if the dlls, or any companion dlls that xp_ might call, are not together in the same Binn folder.

i'm wondering if it's a 64 bit installation calling the older 32 bit dlls that is part of the issue; i'd recommend searching for recompiled 64 bit versions of the same dlls.

--edit-- the original thread has a lot of problem solving issues similar to yours:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic199534-236-9.aspx

read thru that first!

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks for your response Lowell.

That sounds like it could be the problem as the new installation is 64bit and the encryption toolkit dlls are probably quite a few years old and therefore likely to be 32bit. The dlls are BTW in the Binn folder so that should be in order.

I have not seen any 64bit dlls on the encryption toolkit page (http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Security/freeencryption/1980/) so if anyone knows how I would go about getting these I would be very grateful. Is it fact possible to create 64bit dlls from the 32bit ones?

• Mike C, the original author, pointed to a different thread where folks talked about not being able to use 64 bit with the originals.

cygnussolutions posted a zip file for 64 bit blowfish routines.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic199534-236-14.aspx

scroll down to the post where he attached a zip file.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks so much Lowell, replaced the originals with the dlls in the zip and it worked a treat.

Appreciate your help with that one as I had read the thread previously but not put 2 and 2 together with respect to the 32/64 bit inconsistency!!

• nineteen-red (9/29/2011)

Thanks so much Lowell, replaced the originals with the dlls in the zip and it worked a treat.

Appreciate your help with that one as I had read the thread previously but not put 2 and 2 together with respect to the 32/64 bit inconsistency!!

wow i did not know they were drop-in-and-replace! that is awesome and good to know!

I'm glad this worked out for you!

Lowell

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply