Books

• What are some of the best books for sql server 2008 newbies?

• The SQL Bible series is what got me started (WAY back when).

What I always recommend is, write down a list of questions you need answered about SQL Server, take the list to a bookstore, pull a stack of SQL books off the shelves and sit down with them and the list. Then, go through the books and see if you can find answers to your questions. If not, or if the answers leave you more confused than when you started, it's not the right book.

That method of picking a technical book has worked really well for me on a number of subjects.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thanks for the reply! Great info.

• GSquared (1/20/2011)

What I always recommend is, write down a list of questions you need answered about SQL Server, take the list to a bookstore, pull a stack of SQL books off the shelves and sit down with them and the list. Then, go through the books and see if you can find answers to your questions. If not, or if the answers leave you more confused than when you started, it's not the right book.

Actually that's a brilliant idea GSquared 🙂

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • I had a VB.Net teacher once claim that "Barns and Noble was his library". (Good source material and hot coffee to boot!)

I fully agree with the "Write down questions and go to the book store" method of finding a good book on any subject!

"When in danger or in doubt. Run in circles, scream and shout!" TANSTAAFL
    "Robert A. Heinlein"

• blackwell (1/20/2011)

What are some of the best books for sql server 2008 newbies?

SQL Book Online is a good free source. The other one I have lying around is from Apress: T-sql recipes.

-----------------------------
    www.cbtr.net
    .: SQL Backup Admin Tool[/url] :.

• This link is quite useful

http://www.brentozar.com/best-sql-server-dba-books/

M&M

• GSquared (1/20/2011)

The SQL Bible series is what got me started (WAY back when).

That method of picking a technical book has worked really well for me on a number of subjects.

I agree with this very much, but, the list of books at your average book store is horrible. Really horrible (and I don't just mean because I've only seen my book at one book store, although that's bad enough). Although, again, I agree with the approach.

If you're just starting out, get a copy of Itzik Ben-Gan's T-SQL Fundamentals. It's just a must-read.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I am a DB2 Mainframe DBA with 15 years of experience, who has worked with SQL Server 2005, Oracle, and UDB. I have been working thur the SQL Server 2008 Administration Real World Skillsl for MCITP Certification and Beyond book by Tom Carpenter and it seem to be very useful.

Anthony K. Johnson

• I loved "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 T-SQL Fundamentals" and "Pro SQL Server 2008 Relational Database Design And Implementation".

"If I had been drinking out of that toilet, I might have been killed." -Ace Ventura

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply