Bucket List Data

• I causally track countries visited (not something which changes fast), and books read per year (well behind on updating that). Not much else.

Countries visited so far: 12 (including one I was in for only 5 hours, excluding 3 where I've only transited through their airport)

Books this year: Not sure, too far behind on tracking. Estimate ~40.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Gary Varga (11/14/2014)

I saw a concert recently where so many people where not watching and enjoying the performers but were watching through their mobiles like they were cameramen and women. I don't think that one engages in the same way when doing this.

I'm one of those people. Although it's not through a phone, it's through an SLR camera. Then again, photography is one of my hobbies, so I get to enjoy the music from the concert and have pictures to remember it by. Two years ago I wasn't able to bring my camera into the concert. I have to admit that I didn't enjoy the as much as the years where I've had my camera.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.

• LightVader (11/18/2014)

Gary Varga (11/14/2014)

I saw a concert recently where so many people where not watching and enjoying the performers but were watching through their mobiles like they were cameramen and women. I don't think that one engages in the same way when doing this.

I'm one of those people. Although it's not through a phone, it's through an SLR camera. Then again, photography is one of my hobbies, so I get to enjoy the music from the concert and have pictures to remember it by. Two years ago I wasn't able to bring my camera into the concert. I have to admit that I didn't enjoy the as much as the years where I've had my camera.

Edge case? 😉

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• There are at least 2 people on that edge

• Robert Sterbal-482516 (11/18/2014)

There are at least 2 people on that edge

Good to know I'm not alone. 😀

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.

• LightVader (11/19/2014)

Robert Sterbal-482516 (11/18/2014)

There are at least 2 people on that edge

Good to know I'm not alone. 😀

Sorry. Can't join you. I chop off heads and feet (only in a photographical context).

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Gary Varga (11/18/2014)

budbeth (11/17/2014)

United States visited: 47

Foreign Countries visited: 3

Almost the opposite for me; acouple more states a few less countries. Perhaps that is a perspective on the whole "Americans don't travel" that needs to be taken into account as the culture across the US is quite varied.

For me the numbers are

States: 8

Foreign countries: 24 (counting none of the UK as foreign)

I never bothered to keep track of those numbers, so I had to write lists and count them to . But I always liked seeing new and different places, and hope to add a few more foreign countries some time soon.

Robert Sterbal-482516 (11/18/2014)

In general foreign travel is quite expensive for Americans who are used to cheaper hotels and gasoline stateside, without the high cost of actually getting to the destination.

In my experience the States were more expensive (hotels, meals) for a reasonable level of comfort than anywhere else I've been except the UK. Maybe I just saw expensive parts of the states, or maybe it's got cheaper since I was last there, or maybe gasoline is so important that it outweighs everything else. Sure, it can be expensive in cities like Brussels or Paris or Venice or Vienna but only if you choose to stay in fashionable hotels in expensive areas and eat in over-priced restaurants.

The price of getting to the destination is often significantly higher for Americans, simply because the USA is so far from almost anywhere. 😉

Tom

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply