bug or "feature"??

• Can someone tell me if the following behavior is a bug or a SQL “feature” that I’m unaware of?

In the following code, MostRecentValue is a varchar field in a local table variable.  I didn’t realize that I was doing a numeric compare on a varchar (…AND MostRecentValue) > 0).  Function svfCalculateTrendPercentage expects both params to be varchar.  On the call to svfCalculateTrendPercentage, I was getting ‘cannot convert int to varchar’ error. 

CASE

WHEN (ISNUMERIC(MostRecentValue) = 1 AND MostRecentValue > 0)

THEN dbo.svfCalculateTrendPercentage(OruValue, MostRecentValue)

ELSE 0

END    

And I’m thinking…. WHAT INT???  Finally I figured out that my ‘...AND MostRecentValue > 0’ comparison was apparently implicitly converting MostRecentValue to an int, and leaving it that way!  Adding a CONVERT to my test got rid of the error.

CASE

WHEN (ISNUMERIC(MostRecentValue) = 1 AND CONVERT(decimal(15,3), MostRecentValue) > 0)

THEN dbo.svfCalculateTrendPercentage(OruValue, MostRecentValue)

ELSE 0

END                

Obviously I should’ve converted it in the first place, but does anyone know the logic behind why SQL would behave this way?  Why wouldn't it just alert me that I'm doing something stupid?

• Implicit conversions can get you in many places. The big thing to be aware of is that you'd probably want to compare > 0.0 so that the conversion doesn't take place.

• If I used 0.0, why would the conversion not take place?  Wouldn't it just convert to a dec instead of an int?

• There is a whole slew of automatic type conversions that can occur if strict datatyping is not observed.  Take a gander at Data Types [SQL Server]: Precedence in BOL.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply