Building SQL with T-SQL

• Hi again,

My previous post wasn't totally accurate. I did some experimentation within SQL Server Query Analyzer and found that, even with the default of NULL, I had to provide a value when invoking the INSERT stored procedure. I had to actually provide "NULL" as a parameter; I could not leave any parameters blank as:

exec InsertRow 4, 3, 'NST', , , 7, 3

Instead, I had to use:

exec InsertRow 4, 3, 'NST', Null , Null, 7, 3

Effectively, this made the default a moot point and actually not needed.

Do I actually have to use the parameter names when invoking the stored procedure in order to get use of the defaults?

Mike

• Yes and No. As you mentioned, if you want to bypass a variable, you will have to state in you INSERT SQL which parameters you want to use such as: EXEC InsertRow @txtFirstName = 'something'.

However, you can also pass DEFAULT instead of Null if you don't know what the default value is: EXEC InsertRow 'M', DEFAULT, 'etc...'. This allows you to change the default value in the stored proc without changing your code.

I would like to point out an alternative. The best approach in calling a stored procedure is to create a command object in VB and set the parameters' values. Take a look at this code:

Dim oConn As New ADODB.Connection
    Dim oCmd As New Command

' Connection string already set
    oConn.Open sConn

' Create the command object and tell it you
    ' are calling a stored proc
    oCmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
    oCmd.CommandText = "InsertRow"
    oCmd.ActiveConnection = oConn

' Now append mandatory parameter.
    ' For the mandatory params, I pass them right away
    oCmd.Parameters.Append oCmd.CreateParameter("@sName", adVarChar, adParamInput, 30, Text1)
    oCmd.Parameters.Append oCmd.CreateParameter("@Date", adDate, adParamInput, , Now())

' This is my optional param.
    ' Something in the field?
    If Text2 <> "" Then
    oCmd.Parameters.Append oCmd.CreateParameter("@sAddr", adVarChar, adParamInput, 30)
    oCmd.Parameters("@sAddr").Value = Text2
    End If

' Execute the command now...
    oCmd.Execute

I hope this helps. I have migrated a few applications from in-line SQLs to using stored procs and found GREAT performance improvements every time.

Regards,

Herve

Herve Roggero
    hroggero@pynlogic.com
    MCDBA, MCSE, MCSD
    SQL Server Database Proxy/Firewall and Auditing

• Mike, I know exactly what you are attempting to do. I wrote a stored procedure to allow for dynamic inserts. Please email me if you want the code. Thanks

Brian

gainesme72@attbi.com

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply