Bulk Insert and KeepNulls Option

• Hello:

Here is a bulk insert query that I use to import data from a file.

bulk insert Data.Sigma_temp from 'S:\temp\file02.TXT' WITH (FORMATFILE='S:\temp\Format.fmt' ,FIRSTROW =1, KEEPNULLS)

As you may see KEEPNULLS is set to True, but after the data is loaded, I still see EMPTY STRING values in the table for columns that do NOT have value in the data file. I want to have NULL instead of empty strings in the table. I thought that is what the KEEPNULLS option does but it does not.

What am I missing here?.

Thanks,

Ganesh

• You should check two things.

1. Verify that the source data is actually NULL and not an empty string.

2. Verify that the destination column does NOT has a default value of '' an allows the NULL.

* Noel

• The file is a fixed width fields. Each field is of length "1". For example, one line of the data file is like this:

A CDE

Notice the space between the values A and C.

If the above is inserted thru bulk inserted toa table with 5 columns (ColA, ColB, ColC, ColD, ColE) then I have:

ColA : A

ColB: "space"

ColC: C

ColD: D

ColE: E

How do I make the ColB have "NULL" instead of spaces?.

Thanks,

Ganesh

• The problem is that your input file does not have either NULL or an empty string for that field, but a Space, which is different.

I do not see anyway that your import file can represent a NULL or empty value in a fixed-width field. Nor do I know of a way that the Bulk Insert command can change a " " to a NULL for you.

Your only recourse then is to change it after BULK INSERT has imported it, probably with an UPDATE statement.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• ganeshmuthuvelu (1/13/2009)

The file is a fixed width fields. Each field is of length "1". For example, one line of the data file is like this:

A CDE

Notice the space between the values A and C.

If the above is inserted thru bulk inserted toa table with 5 columns (ColA, ColB, ColC, ColD, ColE) then I have:

ColA : A

ColB: "space"

ColC: C

ColD: D

ColE: E

How do I make the ColB have "NULL" instead of spaces?.

Thanks,

Ganesh

without field terminator "bulk insert" can't insert nulls.

* Noel

• You might try Openrowset (Bulk...)

http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverstorageengine/archive/2006/05/30/Preprocessing-data-before-bulk-import.aspx

-- insert into YourTable (ColA, ColB)

SELECT

ColA

,CASE WHEN LEN(ColB) > 0 THEN ColB ELSE NULL END AS ColB

FROM OPENROWSET

(BULK

\\UNC\YourFile.txt

,FORMATFILE = \\UNC\FormatFile.fmt

) as YourData

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply