Bulk Insert - bulk admin security issue

• Hello Guys,

I need to give developers bulk insert permissions or bulk admin permissions. Giving bulk admin permissions, they can bulk insert into any user defined database. I want to limit the amount of permissions, so how can I do that. Should I create an application role and do it. If anyone has an idea, please tell me the procedure along with the code if necessary. Thanks in advance 😀

• I need help on this issue, so no one has an idea on this issue

• I don't believe you can get around having to make the user a member of the bulkadmin fixed server role, but I could be mistaken.

There is no way to grant bulk operations on a specific table, or even a specific database, as far as I can tell.

"Got no time for the jibba jabba!"
    -B.A. Baracus

• They must have SELECT and INSERT rights on a table in addition to being a member of the bulkadmin fixed server role in order to be able to pull off a BULK INSERT operation.

BOL: Preparing Data for Bulk Export or Import

So if you've controlled those rights, they can't use BULK INSERT against any old table. If that is a problem, what you can do is have a SQL Server Agent job which runs periodically. The devs can run a stored procedure to insert the table to be loaded and the file to be loaded from into a table that is watched. Your job can have logic which restricts what tables it will actually process on. Then you don't have to give out bulkadmin rights. The catch is to run the job often enough so that it's not too big a delay.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply