Bulk Insert: end of file marker and end of line

• But doesn't the bulk insert need that marker for the end of file?

• It will. It doesnt need a blank line to end the file.

• I'm sorry, I'm confused. My txt file does contain the square bracket on the last line, is this correct or not? If it is my bulk insert is reading it in as a record, how can this be corrected?

• If you have a little square on the last line. This usually means you have a hard return. To resolve simply delete the last line. It should look blank when you open the file in notepad.

• So the bracket is really invisible to the user? It's just something SQL knows somehow?

Thanks for your patience!

• Well the little square is hard return, in this case. The hard return consists of the CR\LF characters, which is the default row terminator. SQL was thinking you had an extra row when you did not.

And yes the CR\LF is invisible when you open notepad.

• You guys are crossing your wires just a bit. If you're seeing a square bracket at the end of the text FILE, you should remove that last line. The square bracket is not the EOF marker... I guarantee it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• i've got the bracket or end-of-file issue resolved, however now I have this issue:

As stated previously, my bulk insert sp inserts records into a table from a txt file. The txt file has each record on a separate line, meaning we have \r

However, in the table the first char of the first row has a value, but all of the following records who a blank in that position. What could the issue be?

• Does the row in question contain anything else or just the one character?

It sounds like your field/column terminator is set incorrectly.

• newbie (3/5/2008)

i've got the bracket or end-of-file issue resolved, however now I have this issue:

As stated previously, my bulk insert sp inserts records into a table from a txt file. The txt file has each record on a separate line, meaning we have \r

However, in the table the first char of the first row has a value, but all of the following records who a blank in that position. What could the issue be?

We can only guess... if there's nothing private in the file, upload it as an attachment and let's see...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Unfortuanatly I cannot upload the file, however the values are similar to this example:

This is what is in the text file:

In the table, after the bulk insert, it has the first value correctly, but all the following values shift over by one and the first char is blank.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply