BULK INSERT row order guaranteed?

• I have a flat file of data where the row order is important but no field in the file can be used to determine the proper order. I plan to BULK INSERT the file into a temp table that has an IDENTITY column. Can I be guaranteed that the IDENTITY column would represent the ordering of the data as it was in the data file? Below is a simplified representation of my elements.

temp table:

CREATE TABLE #OrderTest(

Field1 VARCHAR(500) NULL,

Field2 VARCHAR(500) NULL,

TempID INT IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL

) ON [PRIMARY]

BULK INSERT statement:

BULK INSERT #OrderTest FROM 'c:\Data.txt' WITH( FORMATFILE='C:\OrderTest.fmt')

Format file:

1 SQLCHAR 0 500 "\t" 1 Field1 SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

2 SQLCHAR 0 500 "\r" 2 Field2 SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

And to be clear, I don't necessarily need the IDENTITY column (TempID) to be the same as the data file row number. I just need to make sure that the following would replicate the data file

SELECT Field1, Field2 FROM #OrderTest ORDER BY TempID

• Insert order is not guaranteed when using BULK INSERT. I would recommend using SSIS for this, which can read and process your file in the order in which it is written.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• If the incoming data is sorted in clustering key order, you can add an:

ORDER ( { column [ ASC | DESC ] } [ ,... n ] )

clause to the BULK INSERT which I believe will guarantee the order.

If it's an identity (arrgh, most often not best for overall performance), you'll probably also need to specify:

KEEPIDENTITY

in the BULK INSERT.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• Thank you, Phil. Not what I was hoping for, but at least I know. SSIS is not something that I'm familiar with (and little time to learn it at the moment) so I will have to look for an alternative.

• Scott,

Other than the order of the rows themselves, there is nothing about the data that I can rely upon to order it. If I understand how the ORDER option works for BULK INSERT, I think that it would mess it up if I specified ORDER. Also, I couldn't use the KEEPIDENTITY option since my data doesn't have an identity column; the identity column was in the temp table that was being inserted into.

The IDENTITY column in the temp table was only going to be used to aid in processing the data so I could import it into a more normalized structure.

Thanks for commenting! 🙂

• JTSash (4/8/2016)

Thank you, Phil. Not what I was hoping for, but at least I know. SSIS is not something that I'm familiar with (and little time to learn it at the moment) so I will have to look for an alternative.

A possible short-term fix is to pre-process the file and add a row number column.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Yes, I have already contacted the person that I get the data from to see if they are able to add a column with the row number. 🙂

• If for some reason the data provider cannot add a sequence number to the data, you can use a Scrpt Component configured as a (synchronous) transform in your data flow to add a row sequence number to your data.

https://hansmichielscom.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/how-to-add-a-rownumber-to-a-data-flow-task-in-ssis-2012/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply