bypassing windows 2003 security policy

• i encountered errors when creating a login via an off-the-shelf application, upon investigation i discovered the problem was caused because the password does not pass the security policy on windows. however, the default password is generated from within the application and so i can't modify it.

any ideas how to bypass windows security policy from SQL Server 2005?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All it takes, is a step in the right direction, your feet will manage to find the way. I didn't say it'll be easy!!![font="Comic Sans MS"]:cool:[/font]

• I would have thought if this was possible at all, that it would be a registry setting somewhere, but I haven't found anything myself, and from what I have seen, I don't think this feature can be turned off, except when actually creating a login (yourself) or altering the login, using CHECK_POLICY=OFF.

"Got no time for the jibba jabba!"
    -B.A. Baracus

• You would change it through the local security policy (Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy). Expand Account Policies and select Password Policy. In there you will find a setting called "Password must meet complexity requirements". Disabling that will do the trick but use it with caution. Also, you will not be able to change the setting if a group policy within your domain is controlling that setting. If that is the case, you may have to work with your Active Directory engineers to create and deploy a special GPO for your SQL Server. Hopefully this helps.

Jim

• thanks for your contributions so far

Jim,

that would mean turning off the security policy on both windows and SQL and that isn't what i intend to do. I need to bypass it only from SQL server, so it doesn't have an effect on SQL server logins.

All it takes, is a step in the right direction, your feet will manage to find the way. I didn't say it'll be easy!!![font="Comic Sans MS"]:cool:[/font]

• Have you attempted to contact the 3rd party vendor? There may be a method to modify the default password, because I would think many people would have run into this.

"Got no time for the jibba jabba!"
    -B.A. Baracus

• that's my next point of call, i wanted to make sure i had explored all other options.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply