Cache'' database by Intersystems

• Does anyone know anything good or bad about this DBMS. I just got the link below forwarded to me:

http://www.intersystems.com/cache/index.html

It seems thagt one department of our healthcare organization may be 'hell bent' on acquiring a solution from a vendor utilizing this software as the DBMS as opposed to our 'standard' of MS/SQL. Any help in either approving or disapproving this software would be greatly appreciated.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• I investigated Object databases a few years back and they were interesting. I think NASDAQ or the Chicago Commodity board had used one with great success. The idea seems to make some sense in terms of making it easier for developers to work with, but there seemed to be quite a paradigm shift for the DBA in terms of working with the data, tuning, tools, etc.

I'm not sold on them, but I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea. I might let them do it and maybe you can be the expert and educate all of us

• The latest version of the Midas Plus product from ACS-Midas plus uses Cache, as well as Mysys lab. Depending on which department it is, the field of players may be very limited and you won’t have much of a choice. 

The up side (?) is that they (those vendors) support the databases. You can monitor, but you can not make interface changes, change backup times or alter the structure of the underlying database yourself. All that the site needs to do is to supply them with a stable platform and operating system.

If you look around your healthcare organization, I’m sure you’ll find some Mumps (or ‘M’) databases. Cache is the next generation of that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply