CacheMiss event in SQL Server 2005

• Hello!

Every time I execute stored procedure I see SP:CacheMiss and SP:CacheHis events in Profiler. Stored procedure is owner qualified. I am using SQL Serve 2005 and understand that caching algorithm is probably different from SQL 2000. I am not sure why there is always CacheMiss event preceding CacheHit. Is this something I should be concerned about? I know that in SQL 2000 this might be caused by not fully qualifying stored procedure, but this is not the case with my stored procedure. Can anybody forward me to the place explaining difference in caching between SQL Server 2000 and 2005?
       Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Igor
  • What was said in the article is correct. However, there are also other reasons why you would get a miss / hit.

The old time fav is when people name their procs "sp_" Whenever SQL sees a proc called sp_, it assumes it is a system proc and looks in master first. if it does not find it (miss) it looks in sysobjects. No found, looks in the current DB connected. if found, cache hit. if not found (miss), looks in sysobjects, if found, compiles (Cache insert)

Having a high number of misses is a concern in a OLTP environment.

Also "Select FirstName from MyTable Where ID = 2" is not the same as "Select FirstName from MyTable Where ID = 3" (Although 2005 does a better job at it and is not the same as "Select firstname from MyTable Where ID = 2"

HTH

Cheers,CrispinI can't die, there are too many people who still have to meet me!It's not a bug, SQL just misunderstood me!

• One other item to consider in SQL 2005 stored procs is ths use of fully qualified names. So will improve cache hit/miss events.

DAB

• Also:

Case matters. Refer to your objects in the exact case in which they were created. Not doing so will result in recompilations.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• Marios Philippopoulos (3/19/2008)

Also:

Case matters. Refer to your objects in the exact case in which they were created. Not doing so will result in recompilations.

Really? Do you a link for this? This is news to me and very interesting ...

• Adam Bean (3/21/2008)

Marios Philippopoulos (3/19/2008)

Also:

Really? Do you a link for this? This is news to me and very interesting ...

Batch Compilation, Recompilation, and Plan Caching Issues in SQL Server 2005:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/recomp.mspx

CASE (and spacing, mind you!!) matters for ad-hoc queries and batches. The article above does not mention CASE as a factor for stored procedures though. Admittedly, I had not realized that little detail in my earlier posting... 😉

It would be interesting to test it out for sprocs as well, just to be sure...

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]

• if your proc call is not the same case as your proc def then you'll get a cache miss event. What's more worrying is that in a highly concurrent environment you may get serialisation of procedure plans.

create proc dbo.MyProcID

exec dbo.MyProcId will give a cache miss event. procs are case sensitive even in a case insensitive environment. I am not convinced that case of tables and columns within procs has any affect. Missing a dbo. ( or schema ) from a table within a proc may cause problems.

I do not see any recompilations caused by incorrect case but I do often see serialisation of proc calls, and hence serious blocking chains.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• colin Leversuch-Roberts (3/26/2008)

if your proc call is not the same case as your proc def then you'll get a cache miss event. What's more worrying is that in a highly concurrent environment you may get serialisation of procedure plans.

create proc dbo.MyProcID

exec dbo.MyProcId will give a cache miss event. procs are case sensitive even in a case insensitive environment. I am not convinced that case of tables and columns within procs has any affect. Missing a dbo. ( or schema ) from a table within a proc may cause problems.

I do not see any recompilations caused by incorrect case but I do often see serialisation of proc calls, and hence serious blocking chains.

Thank you for the clarification, much appreciated.

Can you explain what you mean by "serialization of proc calls", I'm not sure I followed that part.

thx!

• SQLServerLifer (3/18/2008)

One other item to consider in SQL 2005 stored procs is ths use of fully qualified names. So will improve cache hit/miss events.

DAB

I used to think so too, until a few minutes ago when I tried the following test:

DBCC FREEPROCCACHE;

create table dbo.t1 (col1 int);

insert into dbo.t1 values (1);

create procedure dbo.sproc1

as

set nocount on

select col1 from t1 --note that table name is not fully qualified

go

In your test db, create 2 users, u1 and u2, and give them exec permissions on the sproc.

Connect as u1 and run "exec dbo.sproc1".

Run:

select sql, cacheobjtype, uid, usecounts

from sys.syscacheobjects

You will get this line - among others:

sql: create procedure dbo.sproc1 as set nocount on select col1 from t1

cacheobjtype: Compiled Plan

uid: 1

usecounts: 1

Connect as u2 and run "exec dbo.sproc1".

Run:

select sql, cacheobjtype, uid, usecounts

from sys.syscacheobjects

You will get this line - among others:

sql: create procedure dbo.sproc1 as set nocount on select col1 from t1

cacheobjtype: Compiled Plan

uid: 1

usecounts: 2

The plan has been re-used with u2!

This simple test suggests that qualification of objects by schema inside stored procedures is not necessary for plan reuse!

Thoughts anyone?

• that's always been my experience too, it's still best practice to qualify objects within procs ( with owner/schema )

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• I was about to tell a developer to add owner/schema for all objects referenced in a sproc, but after this test, it seems that does not matter...

I do agree though that it is still a good idea to fully qualify all objects in a sproc or elsewhere.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply