Calling procedure over and over.... can''t work it.

• FYI:  ***** Answer = Case Statement ******

This has been racking my brain for the past few weeks now and I can't seem to find a workable version.

I am doing a SalesHistory query for my company, and I want to retrieve the Customers and how much money we made off of them.  Along with that, I want to call the same thing over again, but change the date range. So now it would return, yesterdays, years total, last years total, etc...

And I would like to call this function 6 times in the end.

Customer     Todays$     Yesterday$     CurrentYear$     LastYear$    Etc...

My first attempt was to use a dynamically stored procedure.  But my varchar is only 4000, ran out of room when using 'EXEC sp_executesql'

My second attempt was to mix in views to cut down on the code, but views with Unions in them slowed things down.

My third attempt was to write it all in ASP - TSQL code (which was the faster by FAR), but I get an error saying I am using over 256 tables.  (since i'm recalling the same function so much).

So what can I do ?   I'm going around in circles on this one.

• What about UDF?

dbo.SalesAmount(@CustomerId, @PeriodStart, @PeriodEnd)

SELECT CustomerId,

dbo.SalesAmount(CustomerId, @Today, @Today + 1) as Todays$,

dbo.SalesAmount(CustomerId, @Today - 1, @Today) as Todays$,

dbo.SalesAmount(CustomerId, dateadd(mm, -(Datepart(mm, @Today) + 1, dateadd(dd, -(Datepart(dd, @Today) + 1, @Today)), @Today) as CurrentYear$,

FROM Customes

• Post your table structure and your codes and explain your current approach. We should be able to help you to come up with some solution.

• "And I would like to call this function 6 times in the end."

Why ?

There is a very simple set based solution using CASE.

Using the Northwind demo database:

-- The Sales Summary Table

create table CustomerSales

(CustomerId nchar(5) not null

,OrderDate datetime not null

,SaleAmt money not null

, constraint CustomerSales_P primary key (CustomerId, OrderDate)

)

-- Populate the Sales summary table

insert into CustomerSales

(CustomerId

,OrderDate

,SaleAmt

)

SELECT Orders.CustomerId

, Orders.OrderDate

, Sum(CONVERT(money,("Order Details".UnitPrice*Quantity*(1-Discount)/100))*100)

AS SaleAmt

FROM Orders

JOIN "Order Details"

ON Orders.OrderID = "Order Details".OrderID

GROUP BY Orders.CustomerId

, Orders.OrderDate

go

-- Stored procedure logic with CASE

Declare @todayDate datetime

, @oldestDate datetime

set @todayDate = '1998-04-02 00:00:00.000'

set @oldestDate = cast( ( YEAR(@todayDate) - 1 ) as char(4) ) + '-01-01'

select customerId

, SUM( CASE when OrderDate = @todayDate then SaleAmt else 0 end ) as TodaySales

, SUM( CASE when OrderDate = @todayDate - 1 then SaleAmt else 0 end ) as YesterdaySales

, SUM( CASE when Year(OrderDate) = year(@todayDate) then SaleAmt else 0 end ) as currentyearSales

, SUM( CASE when Year(OrderDate) = year(@todayDate) - 1 then SaleAmt else 0 end ) as PriorYearSales

from CustomerSales

where OrderDate between @oldestDate and @todayDate

and customerid = 'QUICK'

group by CustomerId

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language

• >My third attempt was to write it all in ASP - TSQL code (which was the faster by FAR), but I get an error <

Fast error producing statements are always to be prefered ...

CREATE PROCEDURE giveMePain

AS

--To keep things simple and ingenious ;-):

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @Today DATETIME,

@YesterDay DATETIME,

@FirstDayOfYear DATETIME,

@FirstDayOfLastYear DATETIME

SET @Today = DATEADD(dd,0,DATEDIFF(dd,0,GETDATE()))

SET @YesterDay = DATEADD(dd,-1,@Today)

SET @FirstdayofYear = DATEADD(dd,-DATEPART(dayofyear,@ToDay),@ToDay)

SET @FirstdayofLastYear = DATEADD(yyyy,-1,@FirstdayofYear)

SELECT

CustomerID,

SUM(CASE WHEN SalesDate >= @Today THEN Amount ELSE 0 END) AS Today$,

SUM(CASE WHEN SalesDate >= @Yesterday AND SalesDate < @Today THEN Amount ELSE 0 END) AS Yesterday$,

SUM(CASE WHEN SalesDate >= @FirstdayofYear THEN Amount ELSE 0 END) AS CurrentYear$,

SUM(CASE WHEN SalesDate >= @FirstdayofLastYear AND SalesDate < @FirstdayofYear THEN Amount ELSE 0 END) AS LastYear$

FROM CustomerSales

GROUP BY

CustomerID

This is the basic way. There's of course no need to use variables but this gives you the chance to test seperately and keeps the date calculation out of the statement.

If this is basically what you want, this can of course be improved regarding flexibility. How do you specify your date ranges? ad hoc?

_/_/_/ paramind _/_/_/

• Oh, Carl Federl, seems like same thoughts in parallel  would not have posted otherwise.

_/_/_/ paramind _/_/_/

• Wow the Case Statement is very powerful.  Thank you guys so much!!  I've been racking my brain over this for the past few months trying to speed up how I originally did it.  (Using a temp table, calling the procedures 1 at a time and either updates or inserting the records into the temp table).

The Case Statement way is the way to go forsure.  Very fast and very simple.  One call and search through the table.  That’s why I like this board, it gave me a whole new spin on how to look at the query and worked beautifully.  Thanks again guys.

When I put this into a query, I always come up with the dilemma of the varchar running out of the 4000 characters, because I use a lot of IF statements.  Below is my old Query and I was wondering what is the trick to create a dynamic stored procedure when there is a ton of IF statements.  Right now I just split up the SELECT, FROM, WHERE statements then joined them at the end.  Is it better just to do all of this in ASP??

-------------------------------------------------------

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[SalesHistory]

@InvoiceDate1   datetime = NULL,

@InvoiceDate2   datetime = NULL,

@PlantType   nvarchar(1) = NULL,

@CustomerNumber  nvarchar(6) = NULL,

@CustomerName  nvarchar(30) = NULL,

@CustomerShipTo  nvarchar(6) = NULL,

@CustomerType   nvarchar(25) = NULL,

@RMNumber   nvarchar(7) = NULL,

@TMNumber   nvarchar(7) = NULL,

@PlantNumber   nvarchar(25) = NULL,

@ProductGroup   nvarchar(25) = NULL,

@PartNumber   nvarchar(25) = NULL,

@PartDescription  nvarchar(30) = NULL,

@SalesOrderNumber  nvarchar(8) = NULL,

@CustomerPONumber  nvarchar(30) = NULL,

@ProductCode   nvarchar(4000) = NULL,

@SICCode   nvarchar(4000) = NULL,

@Columns   nvarchar(200) = NULL,

@Sort    nvarchar(100) = NULL,

@Roll    nvarchar(1) = NULL,

@PCodeGrp   nvarchar(1) = NULL

--WITH RECOMPILE

AS

DECLARE

@sql          nvarchar(4000),

@sqlFrom          nvarchar(4000),

@sqlWhere         nvarchar(4000),

@sql_CYDR        nvarchar(4000),

@sql_LYDR        nvarchar(4000),

@sql_CYTD        nvarchar(4000),

@sql_LYTD      nvarchar(4000),

@sql_TPRE      nvarchar(4000),

@param  nvarchar(2000),

@CurDate  datetime, -- Current Date

@LastDate  datetime, -- Last Year Date

@InvoiceDate1_CYDR datetime, -- Current Year to Date Range

@InvoiceDate2_CYDR datetime,

@InvoiceDate1_LYDR datetime, -- Last Year to Date Range

@InvoiceDate2_LYDR datetime,

@InvoiceDate1_CYTD datetime, -- Current Year to Date

@InvoiceDate2_CYTD datetime,

@InvoiceDate1_LYTD datetime, -- Last Year to Date

@InvoiceDate2_LYTD datetime,

@InvoiceDate1_CYA datetime, -- Current Year Annualized

@InvoiceDate2_CYA datetime,

@InvoiceDate1_TPRE datetime, -- Total Previous Year

@InvoiceDate2_TPRE datetime,

@FiscalYear   int 

set ansi_warnings off

Select @sql = '', @sqlFrom = '', @sqlWhere = '', @param = ''

SELECT @CurDate = Getdate()

SELECT @LastDate =  DateAdd(yy, -1, @CurDate)

Select @FiscalYear = 0

If Month(@CurDate) < 7

Select @FiscalYear = 1

-- Current Year to Date Range

SELECT @InvoiceDate1_CYDR = @InvoiceDate1 

SELECT @InvoiceDate2_CYDR = @InvoiceDate2

-- Last Year to Date Range

SELECT @InvoiceDate1_LYDR =  DateAdd(yy, -1, @InvoiceDate1_CYDR)

SELECT @InvoiceDate2_LYDR =  DateAdd(yy, -1, @InvoiceDate2_CYDR)

-- Current Year to Date

SELECT @InvoiceDate1_CYTD =  '7/1/'+ convert(varchar, Year(@CurDate)-@FiscalYear)

SELECT @InvoiceDate2_CYTD =  Convert(varchar,@CurDate,101)

-- Last Year to Date

SELECT @InvoiceDate1_LYTD =  '7/1/'+ convert(varchar, Year(@LastDate)-@FiscalYear)

SELECT @InvoiceDate2_LYTD =  Convert(varchar,@LastDate,101)

-- Total Previous Year

SELECT @InvoiceDate1_TPRE =  @InvoiceDate1_LYTD

SELECT @InvoiceDate2_TPRE = '6/30/' + convert(varchar, Year(@InvoiceDate1_LYTD)+1) 

CREATE TABLE dbo.#temp_Sales

(

CustomerNumber varchar(6),

CustomerName  varchar(30),

CustomerShipTo  varchar(6),

PlantNumber  varchar(2),

ProductCode  varchar(5),

ProductGroupCode varchar(1),

ProductGroupCodeDef varchar(30),

CYDR   float,

LYDR   float,

CYTD   float,

LYTD   float,

TPRE   float

&nbsp

--       SUMMARY  MANUFACTURING SALES

IF (@PlantType <> 'W')

begin

SELECT @sql = 'INSERT #temp_Sales (CustomerNumber, CustomerName, CustomerShipTo, PlantNumber, ProductCode, ProductGroupCode, ProductGroupCodeDef, CYDR, LYDR, CYTD, LYTD, TPRE )

SELECT S.CustomerSoldTo, ISNULL(AR.CustomerName, S.CustomerNameSoldTo), S.CustomerShipTo, S.PlantNumber, ISNULL(MPC.CorporateNumberCode,''-blk-''),

ISNULL(WPC.ProductGroupCode,''Z''), ISNULL(PGC.ProductGroupDescription,''-null-''), '

SELECT @sqlFrom = 'FROM DataWarehouse.dbo.MfgShipments S

LEFT OUTER JOIN CustomerMaster.dbo.ARMaster AR ON S.CustomerSoldTo = AR.CustomerNumber

LEFT OUTER JOIN DataWarehouse.dbo.MfgProductCodes MPC ON S.ProductCode = MPC.ProductCode AND MPC.QuantityBreaks = ''''

LEFT OUTER JOIN DataWarehouse.dbo.WhseProductCodes WPC ON MPC.CorporateNumberCode = WPC.ProductCode

LEFT OUTER JOIN Reference.dbo.R_ProductGroupCode PGC ON WPC.ProductGroupCode = PGC.ProductGroupCode '

SELECT @sqlWhere = ' WHERE (S.ActualTransactedDate BETWEEN @xInvoiceDate1 AND @xInvoiceDate2) AND (S.QuantityOrdered <> 0) '

IF @CustomerNumber IS NOT NULL

SELECT @sqlWhere = @sqlWhere + 'AND (S.CustomerSoldTo = @xCustomerNumber) '

IF @CustomerName IS NOT NULL

SELECT @sqlWhere = @sqlWhere + 'AND (AR.CustomerName LIKE ''%''+ @xCustomerName + ''%'' ) ' 

IF @CustomerShipTo IS NOT NULL

SELECT @sqlWhere = @sqlWhere + 'AND (S.CustomerShipTo = @xCustomerShipTo) '

IF @CustomerType IS NOT NULL

begin SELECT @sqlFrom = @sqlFrom + 'LEFT OUTER JOIN CustomerMaster.dbo.WhseDivBillTo DBT ON S.CustomerSoldTo = DBT.CustomerNumber '

SELECT @sqlWhere = @sqlWhere + 'AND (' + dbo.Split(LTRIM(RTRIM(@CustomerType)),'DBT.CustomerType',',') + ' ) ' end

IF @RMNumber IS NOT NULL OR @TMNumber IS NOT NULL  OR @SICCode IS NOT NULL

begin SELECT @sqlFrom = @sqlFrom + 'LEFT OUTER JOIN CustomerMaster.dbo.CustMasterDetail CM ON S.CustomerSoldTo = CM.CustomerNumber '

IF @RMNumber IS NOT NULL

begin SELECT @sqlFrom = @sqlFrom + 'LEFT OUTER JOIN StaffProfiles.dbo.StaffProfiles SPRMAuto ON CM.RMAuto = SPRMAuto.VoiceMailNumber LEFT OUTER JOIN StaffProfiles.dbo.StaffProfiles SPRMHyd ON CM.RMHyd = SPRMHyd.VoiceMailNumber LEFT OUTER JOIN StaffProfiles.dbo.StaffProfiles SPRMTruck ON CM.RMTruck = SPRMTruck.VoiceMailNumber '

SELECT @sqlWhere = @sqlWhere + ' AND EXISTS (SELECT ProductCode FROM Reference.dbo.ProductResponsibility PR INNER JOIN StaffProfiles.dbo.StaffProfiles SP ON PR.DivisionType = SP.DivisionType WHERE SP.ClockNumber = @xRMNumber AND ProductCode = MPC.CorporateNumberCode) '

SELECT @sqlWhere = @sqlWhere + ' AND (SPRMAuto.ClockNumber = @xRMNumber OR SPRMHyd.ClockNumber = @xRMNumber OR SPRMTruck.ClockNumber = @xRMNumber ) ' end

IF @TMNumber IS NOT NULL

begin SELECT @sqlFrom = @sqlFrom + 'LEFT OUTER JOIN StaffProfiles.dbo.StaffProfiles SPTMAuto1 ON CM.TMAuto1 = SPTMAuto1.VoiceMailNumber LEFT OUTER JOIN StaffProfiles.dbo.StaffProfiles SPTMAuto2 ON CM.TMAuto2 = SPTMAuto2.VoiceMailNumber LEFT OUTER JOIN StaffProfiles.dbo.StaffProfiles SPTMHyd1 ON CM.TMHyd1 = SPTMHyd1.VoiceMailNumber

LEFT OUTER JOIN StaffProfiles.dbo.StaffProfiles SPTMHyd2 ON CM.TMHyd2 = SPTMHyd2.VoiceMailNumber LEFT OUTER JOIN StaffProfiles.dbo.StaffProfiles SPTMMobile ON CM.TMMobile = SPTMMobile.VoiceMailNumber LEFT OUTER JOIN StaffProfiles.dbo.StaffProfiles SPTMTruck ON CM.TMTruck = SPTMTruck.VoiceMailNumber LEFT OUTER JOIN StaffProfiles.dbo.StaffProfiles SPTMClimate ON CM.TMClimate = SPTMClimate.VoiceMailNumber '

SELECT @sqlWhere = @sqlWhere + ' AND EXISTS (SELECT ProductCode FROM Reference.dbo.ProductResponsibility PR INNER JOIN StaffProfiles.dbo.StaffProfiles SP ON PR.DivisionType = SP.DivisionType WHERE SP.ClockNumber = @xTMNumber AND ProductCode = MPC.CorporateNumberCode) '

SELECT @sqlWhere = @sqlWhere + ' AND (SPTMAuto1.ClockNumber = @xTMNumber OR SPTMAuto2.ClockNumber = @xTMNumber OR SPTMHyd1.ClockNumber = @xTMNumber OR SPTMHyd2.ClockNumber = @xTMNumber OR SPTMMobile.ClockNumber = @xTMNumber OR SPTMTruck.ClockNumber = @xTMNumber OR SPTMClimate.ClockNumber = @xTMNumber ) ' end

IF @SICCode IS NOT NULL

SELECT @sqlWhere = @sqlWhere + 'AND (' + dbo.Split(LTRIM(RTRIM(@SICCode)),'CM.SICCode2',',') + ' ) ' end

IF @PlantNumber IS NOT NULL

SELECT @sqlWhere = @sqlWhere + 'AND (' + dbo.Split(LTRIM(RTRIM(@PlantNumber)),'S.PlantNumber',',') + ' ) ' 

IF @ProductGroup IS NOT NULL

SELECT @sqlWhere = @sqlWhere + 'AND (' + dbo.Split(LTRIM(RTRIM(@ProductGroup)),'WPC.ProductGroupCode',',') + ' ) ' 

IF @PartNumber IS NOT NULL

SELECT @sqlWhere = @sqlWhere + 'AND (S.PartNumber LIKE @xPartNumber + ''%'' ) ' 

IF @PartDescription IS NOT NULL  

SELECT @sqlWhere = @sqlWhere + 'AND (MPC.ProductDescription LIKE ''%''+ @xPartDescription +''%'' ) ' 

IF @SalesOrderNumber IS NOT NULL  

SELECT @sqlWhere = @sqlWhere + 'AND (S.OrderNumber = @xSalesOrderNumber ) ' 

IF @CustomerPONumber IS NOT NULL  

SELECT @sqlWhere = @sqlWhere + 'AND (S.PurchaseOrderBillTo LIKE @xCustomerPONumber +''%'' ) ' 

IF @ProductCode IS NOT NULL

SELECT @sqlWhere = @sqlWhere + 'AND (' + dbo.Split(LTRIM(RTRIM(@ProductCode)),'MPC.CorporateNumberCode',',') + ' ) '

SELECT @sqlWhere = @sqlWhere + 'GROUP BY S.CustomerSoldTo, ISNULL(AR.CustomerName, S.CustomerNameSoldTo), S.CustomerNameSoldTo, S.CustomerShipTo, S.PlantNumber, ISNULL(MPC.CorporateNumberCode,''-blk-''), ISNULL(WPC.ProductGroupCode,''Z''), ISNULL(PGC.ProductGroupDescription,''-null-'')  '

SELECT @param =

'@xInvoiceDate1  datetime,

@xInvoiceDate2  datetime,

@xCustomerNumber  nvarchar(6),

@xCustomerName  nvarchar(30),

@xCustomerShipTo  nvarchar(6),

@xRMNumber   nvarchar(7),

@xTMNumber   nvarchar(7),

@xPartNumber   nvarchar(25),

@xPartDescription  nvarchar(30),

@xSalesOrderNumber  nvarchar(8),

@xCustomerPONumber  nvarchar(18)'

Select @sql = Replace(@sql,'''','''''')

Select @sqlFrom = Replace(@sqlFrom,'''','''''')

Select @sqlWhere = Replace(@sqlWhere,'''','''''')

SELECT @sql_CYDR = @sql +' SUM(S.NetAmount), 0, 0, 0, 0 '+ @sqlFrom + @sqlWhere

EXEC('EXEC sp_executesql N''' + @sql + ' SUM(S.NetAmount), 0, 0, 0, 0 ' + @sqlFrom + @sqlWhere + ''', N''' + @param +''', '''+ @InvoiceDate1_CYDR +''', '''+ @InvoiceDate2_CYDR +''', '''+ @CustomerNumber +''', '''+ @CustomerName +''', '''+ @CustomerShipTo +''', '''+ @RMNumber +''', '''+ @TMNumber +''', '''+ @PartNumber +''', '''+ @PartDescription +''', '''+ @SalesOrderNumber +''', '''+ @CustomerPONumber +''' ')

end

• Why do you want to have it dynamic? Why not just compile it?

_/_/_/ paramind _/_/_/

• If it is because of 'unknown' IF-statements, do the following:

WHERE

(@SICCode IS NULL OR @SICCode = dbo.Split(... ,CM.SICCode2))

AND (@PlantNumber IS NULL OR @PlantNumber = dbo.Split( ...,CM.Plantnumber))

AND (@ProductGroup IS NULL OR @ProductGroup =

... and so on, I think you get the idea. Instead of testing the parameter for request, simply alter the condition in such it evaluates to true in case it is omitted,

BUT though it works, one good advice: you'd better replace the parameter nulls with some never-existing field value as a default, e.g. -1.

If the respective fields never take the value of -1 (just an example, there may be different defaults for different parameters)

you could test for -1 instead of nulls, so you don't run into situations, where you may have failed TO PASS the parameter correctly (from some application).

WHERE

(@SICCode = -1 OR @SICCode = dbo.Split(...)

AND (@PlantNumber = -1 OR @PlantNumber = dbo.Split(...)

AND (@ProductGroup = -1 OR @ProductGroup = ...

Does that solve the problem? 😉

_/_/_/ paramind _/_/_/

• The reason I wanted to make it dynamic is because most of the time, they only search the records by a few varibiles, but there is about 20 to pick from.

Select @sql = 'Select CustomerNumber from SalesHistory where 1=1 '

IF @PartNumber IS NOT NULL

SELECT @sqlWhere = @sqlWhere + 'AND (S.PartNumber LIKE @xPartNumber + ''%'' ) ' 

IF @PartDescription IS NOT NULL  

SELECT @sqlWhere = @sqlWhere + 'AND (MPC.ProductDescription LIKE ''%''+ @xPartDescription +''%'' ) ' 

IF @SalesOrderNumber IS NOT NULL  

SELECT @sqlWhere = @sqlWhere + 'AND (S.OrderNumber = @xSalesOrderNumber ) ' 

IF @CustomerPONumber IS NOT NULL  

SELECT @sqlWhere = @sqlWhere + 'AND (S.PurchaseOrderBillTo LIKE @xCustomerPONumber +''%'' ) ' 

Exec @sql + @sqlWhere

How else can you say that for the where clause ??

paramid, I'm not sure what you mean, how will that effect my query ?

WHERE

(@SICCode IS NULL OR @SICCode = dbo.Split(... ,CM.SICCode2))

AND (@PlantNumber IS NULL OR @PlantNumber = dbo.Split( ...,CM.Plantnumber))

AND (@ProductGroup IS NULL OR @ProductGroup =

• >paramid, I'm not sure what you mean, how will that effect my query ?<

In case a parameter is not specified (indicated by being NULL or alternatively some default) that part of the where clause will always evaluate to true, which means it has no effect on your selection. (mind the parantheses though) Don't worry about performance (especially compared to dynamic sql). I'm pretty sure, the query optimizer will never evaluate the second part of one where condition if the first is already true and it will always evaluate the simple expression - that is the variable check (@parameter IS NULL) first.

If this is still not clear, feel free to contact me on msn-messenger.

_/_/_/ paramind _/_/_/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply