Can 6.5 and 7.0 live together?

• I have just started a new role as an SQL DBA and I'm currently in a huge learing curve. We have built an NT4 server with 7.0 and it's working fine. The Java application took 2 months to build and is now relatively stable and ready to be tested. I have now been told I will be supporting several NT4 SQL 6.5 servers from another group which will not be upgraded as they will eventually become rundundant. I would like to build a test environment on a NT4 server containing both 6.5 and 7.0, is this possible?

• Both versions can be installed on the same box, but only one can be active. There is a utility called 'sql switch' which swaps between the two.

Better to have seperate boxes. What sort of things will you be testing i.e. could you get away with running those databases on sql 7 in 6.5 compatibility mode.

Steven

• Alternatively, you could install SQL 2000 and run it in v65 compatability mode. that will make the database run the same, though not the server.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Will be testing 6.5 DB's only if a problem occurs in production but I will need to get familiar with the applications. Looks like running in V65 compatability mode is a good solution for all things considered.

Thanks for the advice.

• Fine if you are just manageing the application and data but if you are doing any administration work on sql 6.5, you may need a copy somewhere to get used to the differences in manageing it.

SQL 6.5 is a little different. Whereas SQL 7.0 does lots of things you take for granted SQL 6.5 does not. eg In sql 7 you can set autogrow on a database, in 6.5 you can't. You need to expand the physical device, and then extend the database into that device

Steven

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply