Can a 80 compat db work well on a 2008 Instance ?

• Good Afternoon

I believe that a legacy 80 compat db currently running on 2005 should work on a new install of 2008, but I wanted to hear about the pros and cons of doing so ?

Thanks in Advance

• No difference in how it will work. The 2008 instance will change the file format since that's the engine code, but the interpreter will handle code just like the 2005 instance.

• 80 compatibility can exists on 2008 also. but unless you change the compatibility to 2008 you can not take advantage of new features of 2008.

• Thank you for the replies. I will put forward an argument with management that the dbs really need to upgraded to take full advantage of the 2008 functionality, but we could do it db by db rather than all at one time.

Adonia

• actually you can use some of the 2008 functions even if the db is in 2000 mode

we found this when our devs started checking in 2008 code into our 2000 mode databases

i can't give you a definitive list, but basically as long as it's not anything to do with a physical column (ie hierarchy data type etc ) then you can use it - for example you can use RANK OVER functions when in 2000 mode

MVDBA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply