Can a SQL2005 x64 database be mounted on a 32bit SQL Server

• Hi All,

One of our technical architects has just asked me a question and I am hoping that you may be able to help.

He is designing a new SQL Server 2005 64bit cluster. As part of the potential disaster recovery strategy there may be a requirement to mount a bcv backup on a 32 bit SQL Server 2005, (attaching the data and log files.)

So the question is can 64 bit data and log files be safely attached to a 32 bit database server? I've actually tried this, both restoring a backup and attaching the files, and it appears to work.

Many Thanks

• Hope the issues will arise when the database size becomes very huge.

• Yes, and vies versa.

• The structure of the data and log files are the same for all the architectures that SQL runs on.

I've moved DBs (detach/attach) between IA-64 to x86, from x86 to x64 without any problems

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thats great. Many thanks Gail and Tommy

• If your main server is 64-bit and your DR server is 32-bit, then you should test that all your application code works in both environments.

Also test that the 32-bit machine has the power to run your systems - 64-bit systems can quickly get more stuff running on them that you would consider possible in 32-bit, becaue of the extra memory available. You may find all your stuff does not fit in the memory available to 32-bit.

Personally, I would challenge the decision to use 32-bit as a DR for 64-bit. You are adding a new layer of risk and uncertainty. If your business really needs to use the DR environment, it should also assume that staff availability will be limited, and there may not be anybody available who can quickly troubleshoot why things that worked OK at the main site don't at the DR site.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• I have to agree with Ed. Disaster Recovery is meant to get things back up as quickly & as painlessly as possible. To that end, any DR solutions should mirror (hardware wise and software wise) your production environment as closely as possible.

If not, you're just giving yourself extra potential heartache. Especially if your business can't survive extended downtime.

You need to make up a DR question list. Include items like, How much downtime can the business afford? How much downtime are the users actually able to tolerate? How much stress/usage can the DR setup really take? Can my DR hardware/software become the production environment for an extended period of time (or permanently if it is required)?

Then, not only do you need to test the DR setup extensively, but you need to have a few practice runs to prove that you can quickly & easily recover in case of emergency. This is when you'll discover any serious issues with the DR setup; when you switch over to it and have everyone use it for a day or two.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• It will work.

Microsoft online documentation says both 64 and 32 bit Versions use the same storage format.

• unless it is old hardware I don't see any reason why you'd want to use x32. As pointed out you would be putting a certain amount of risk into your DR, however I've seen some pretty strange setups for DR, mostly trying to gain extra life from old hardware - it all seems good until you actually have to use DR, then you suddenly find it can't run your business. Been there, got the T shirt as they say. Be very very worried by this suggestion.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply