Can an Excel Document be Exported in Zipped Format within SSRS

• Hi,

One of my customers has a a scheduled extract of an SSRS Report as an Excel document. Currently this Excel document exceeds 10Mb in size which is hitting the maximum e-mail size of the customers.

Exporting as a zipped version of an Excel document would reduce this problem, how do I do this please?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Kieran 🙂

• You would need to create something custom in order to do this, that either runs the report and zips it, or you could have the subscription place it in folder and have a program that grabs the excel file and zips it.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Hi thanks for getting back to me. I guess I will need to do a bit of DotNet coding to create a customised feature to do the conversion from Excel to Zip format. There must be someone out there who has done this sort of thing before. Oh well at least I'm pretty confident now that I'm not missing anything obvious.

Kind Regards,

Kieran.

• I've used the WinZip command line interface to automate that kind of thing. It's very straight-forward, and the documentation is reasonably good. I haven't checked the cost recently, but it's never been outrageous.

Other compression programs probably have similar interfaces. I haven't used any of them, but I'm sure there are some that will do what you need.

That might be better than reinventing the wheel on your own.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply