Can INFORMATICA access SQL Server with Windows Authentication?

• Our data warehouse group is using Informatica (latest version) to pull data from many system, including my SQL Server 2008R2. We were using only Windows authentication until this came up. They insist that only SQL Server authentication will work.

Why must Informatica use SQL Server authentication to pull data from a SQL Server 2008 database?

Can anyone give me an example of how Informatica will connect with SQL Server Authentication?

I am grateful for any help here.

• Alan Spillert (4/11/2012)

Our data warehouse group is using Informatica (latest version) to pull data from many system, including my SQL Server 2008R2. We were using only Windows authentication until this came up. They insist that only SQL Server authentication will work.

Why must Informatica use SQL Server authentication to pull data from a SQL Server 2008 database?

Can anyone give me an example of how Informatica will connect with SQL Server Authentication?

I am grateful for any help here.

As I understand ODBC and JDBC drivers do not support Windows Authentication; since (I belive) informatica uses ODBC to connect to SQL Server that's the reason why.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • You may still have a shot: JDBC and ODBC both offer kerberos authentication options to use in connection strings, as does Informatica natively (for external service calls). What I am not clear on is whether you can get informatica to leverage it for its SQL calls (several of the java-based apps we have don't seem to allow their connection strings to have anything over than user ID and Password for some odd reason).

This may be worth bringing up as a service ticket with Informatica: I can't help but think this has come up before.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply