Can SQL 2000 and 2005 be installed on the same server?

• Can SQL Server 2000 and SQL 2005 be installed on the same Server? If so, can they be installed in different directory locations and can they run totally independant of each other? Are there any issues I need to be aware of?

We are running SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition (sp3) on Windows 2003.

Thanks in advance, Kevin

• I read here of some issues

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=65046

Tim S

• I was running SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 on the same server - although I was doing it more for testing purposes - but I did not have any issues.  SQL 2005 will install to it's own instance - I would verify by selecting the Advanced setup options during the install and not just using all defaults, and it also has separate services from SQL 2000 as well.  It also installs to it's own directory structure ex., ...Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/MSSQL...  It also appeared that when the SQL 2005 install saw SQL 2000 was there it also automatically installed some backward compatible sqldmo files that I was also needing for testing purposes (although if you need those I would also verify this since you can install the backward compatible file separately if you need to)

So I felt ok with it for testing - I would do more checking into it if this is your production environment.

Oh- and I also did not have any DTS jobs or clustering going on so I cannot speak to the issues mentioned in the link above from Tim S.

Good luck.

• 2000 and 2005 can definitely coexist, but here's one caution.  I had 2000 (developer edition) on my laptop.  I installed the 2005 evaluation edtion and everything worked fine.  Then I uninstalled the 2005 eval because my shop got the standard edtion.  After uninstalling 2005 eval, 2000 enterprise mgr quit working.  I had to reinstall 2000, then install 2005 standard edition, then everything worked again.

• I've run both on the same XP machine and W2K3 server. The uninstall is definitely something to be careful of as there could be some dependencies. They should be separate, but there are probably some COM or DLL shared files.

Shouldn't matter which is default or which is named.

• Can i install sql 2000 and 2005 on windows 2000 server ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply