Can the ForEachFile enumerator value be passed to SQL task query??

• Theoretically it is possible to:

1) Loop through certain directories on the disk to read flat files with given extension using Foreach Loop container (and a Data Flow Task in it) and to assign the file name (the container's enumerator) to a variable like this User::varSomething

2) To include an Execute SQL task (in the SAME container) where to use the above variable to say, save in a table (someTable) the name of the file being read in the current iteration, e.g.

INSERT INTO someTable VALUES(?)

Here ? refers to a parameter (defined with "name" 0 since this is OLE DB connector) matched to the variable User::varSomething in the "Parameter mapping" section of the Execute SQL task.

But it doesn't work - "Unspecific error...permission denied or ..."

I desperately need this because the number identifying the data is included in the file name and NOWHERE ELSE.

• Silly question, but: what is the SQL task you are executing? Is it an SP? Do you have permissions to execute the SP, or insert into the table?

• I am inserting some values from the files I read into a table - but this works. Where the SQL task breaks is when I want to get my grip on the user variable containing the file name and insert that one into the table, too.

What's funny is that when I added a Script task to the same Foreach Loop Container which just prints the variable:

Imports System.IO

Public Class ScriptMain

Public Sub Main()

MsgBox(Dts.Variables("varFileName").Value)

Dts.TaskResult = Dts.Results.Success

End Sub

End Class

it worked. The question is how to get the value from varFileName into my query?

• Well, I am retracting my claim ... The schema described above works - I was just mixing statements which work in a sql script but are not quite legal in a query. A bit more SQL tasks and temp tables and everything is fine.

Plus, I discovered the question was recently discussed on this forum quite well :

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=148&messageid=284755

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply